The Directorate General Communications of the European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking applications for traineeships in the Language Services Division for a period of three months. The traineeships are open to recent graduates, or students who are close to completing their studies, with one of the following main languages: Czech, Finnish, Lithuanian or Slovak.
The Language Services Division is responsible for providing the ECB with linguistic expertise and support in the official languages of the European Union.
The aim of the traineeships is to give the successful applicants the opportunity to gain experience in translation-related tasks.
While at the ECB, the trainees will be expected to contribute to the translation of texts from English into their main language, the revision of texts in their main language, and the proofreading of texts in their main language destined for publication. The successful applicants will also be expected to identify, extract and compile terminology – in particular, in the financial and economic fields – and to align relevant previously translated texts, thereby expanding the Division’s existing translation memories. The trainees’ work will be revised by the staff translators of the respective language units of the Division.
Qualifications and experience:
You will bring to the role:
• a master’s degree (or qualification of an equivalent level) in modern languages or translation, or be students currently embarking upon their final year on such a course, or be graduates who are pursuing (or have recently completed) postgraduate studies in translation;
• a mother-tongue command of Czech, Finnish, Lithuanian or Slovak ;
• sound knowledge of the SDL translation suite would be an asset;
• an interest in financial and economic affairs would be an asset;
• an advanced command of English with proven drafting ability;
• an intermediate-level command of at least one other official language of the EU;
• good knowledge of MS Office (in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
You will also bring your ability to deliver results within tight time frames, prioritising tasks and paying attention to detail, manage multiple assignments and track progress on numerous processes simultaneously, communicate ideas in an effective manner using simple and clear language, handle sensitive information in a discreet manner, respecting confidentiality, work within a team of professionals sharing information and supporting team members in the attainment of common goals. As a trainee working in the Language Services Division you will be expected to adapt to changing plans and circumstances with ease and embrace new technologies and processes with enthusiasm, establish and maintain cooperative relationships with staff and management, demonstrate a conscientious attitude and understand the key organisational goals and the wider context in which we work, and show awareness of the impact that your actions have on others.
Traineeships of three months, with the possibility of an extension depending on business needs.