Closing Date for Applications: Fri, 21 Jul 2017
Functional area: Communications
The Directorate General Communications of the European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking a translator of German mother tongue for a full-time position in the Germanic and Finno-Ugric Languages Section of its Language Services Division (“ESCB/IO” contract, i.e. a contract for members of staff of the institutions of the European System of Central Banks and international organisations, of six months with a possibility of extension).
The Language Services Division has four language sections and a terminology/language technology unit and is responsible for providing the ECB with linguistic expertise and support in the official languages of the European Union in close collaboration with the national central banks and the national supervisory authorities.
You will work with a small team of German translators, will report to the Head of Section and will be responsible for translating texts from English into German, including documents related to banking supervision, in close collaboration with the linguistic staff and other experts at the national central banks and national supervisory authorities.
As German translator you will:
- translate texts from English into German, including documents related to banking supervision, revise such translations, edit texts drafted in German and proof-read texts destined for publication in German;
- contribute to the development of the ECB’s existing database of multilingual terminology related to the European System of Central Banks and the Single Supervisory Mechanism by researching and compiling such terminology and by expanding translation memories in German;
- follow the established working procedures of the ECB’s Language Services Division;
- work as a team with the other German translators, as the Division’s business processes necessitate that translators coordinate their activities and plan efficiently together, schedule their work on a joint basis, and share information and transfer knowledge and skills to each other.
Qualifications and experience:
You will bring to the role:
- a master’s degree in, preferably, translation, applied linguistics, modern languages or other relevant field;
- at least two full years’ proven professional experience as a translator working out of English into German, preferably in the economic or financial field;
- a sound background knowledge of economics and finance would be an asset;
- experience working as an in-house translator, preferably in a team, within well-defined and structured translation processes, would be an asset;
- a mastery-level command of German and an advanced command of English;
- a good knowledge of at least one other official language of the EU;
- a good knowledge of the suite of SDL translation tools, in particular SDL Trados Studio and SDL MultiTerm, would be an asset;
- a very good knowledge of MS Office, in particular Word and Outlook.
You will also bring your ability to communicate effectively, respect confidentiality, understand clients’ needs, make improvements to service on the basis of feedback, work independently, adapt to changing plans and circumstances with ease, embrace new technology and processes with enthusiasm, use diplomacy and tact when dealing with colleagues, balance individual needs with group and organisational needs, deliver results and prioritise
ESCB/IO contract of six months’ duration (with a possibility of extension).
To enable the Division to maintain its business continuity capability, the successful applicant will occasionally be expected to perform work during non-standard working hours.