This position is open for recruitment for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate from the duty station is identified.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments in the international community for Action. UNEP’s Regional Office for Europe helps to implement UNEP’s global programs in the European region by initiating, coordinating and catalysing regional and sub-regional cooperation and action in response to environmental problems and emergencies. This post is located in the UNEP Regional Office for Europe (ROE) at the Brussels duty station.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Brussels Office:
1. Provides assistance to overall partnership building activities of the office, through gathering and providing targeted information, outreach and communication, in line with the priorities of the office, researching a broad scope of information sources printed-and electronic.
2. Assist in the development of the outreach and communication tool and activities on UNEP Brussels Office activities and on UNEP’s policies and products in general, towards EU institution (in particular European Commission, European Parliament and European External Action Service), through (deleted “contribution”) maintenance of newsletter, website, events, press launch, event, social media in line with the priorities of the office
3. Support the preparations of the yearly engagement of UNEP into the EU Green Week, the yearly EU European Development days as well as other key events by organizing logistics and preparatory work, liaising with diverse partners and providers of services as well as with the media to highlight and publicize key events
4. Provides assistance to the work of the UN Brussels team on communication. (i.e. preparation for UNEP’s office participating in the UN Brussels Communications group in Brussels, co-organization of the UN day in Brussels, coordination of UNEP contribution to the yearly UN-EU partnership report, etc).
5. Assist in the internal communication between the Brussels Office and the rest of UNEP (gathering political briefs, contributing to UNEP Intranet, providing logistical support to publication, newsletter, etc.)
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Duty station: Brussels, Belgium
Application deadline: 11 December 2014