Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||Media and Communication Assistant|
|Duty Station||Regional Office Brussels, Belgium|
Type of Appointment
|General Service Staff, Grade G5
Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
18 October 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration has been entrusted by the European Commission implement the programme, “Action Supporting ACP-EU Cooperation on Migration and Development” to uphold cooperation between the EU and African, Caribbean and Pacific countries on migration issues. The Action is implemented by a team based in Brussels and in five Regional Offices (ROs).
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager and in close coordination with the Action team, the incumbent will support the implementation of all activities of the programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in designing and implementing activities pertaining to the collection of good practices and information sharing;
- Coordinate the organization and preparation of events and meetings of the Action, including but not limited to the administrative tasks and on the ground logistical arrangements, in close coordination with the Action’s team and the RO Brussels accounting and finance staff;
- Undertaking duty travel related to research development, information dissemination and liaison with stakeholders and donor counterparts as required;
- Coordinate with IOM field Missions in ACP countries the communication tools and information dissemination among all stakeholders;
- Participate in and represent IOM at meetings with ACP country partners, EU Institutions, Governments, and other Organizations represented at ACP and EU levels;
- Produce and updated online content for the different social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook, Medium, etc. and supervise the development and update of the Action’s website;
- Research and compose various communication related materials such as media advisories, draft articles, editorials, newsletters, including the coordination layout and translation of approved documents produced by the action;
- Manage the design and procurement of Action visibility materials such as info-graphics, banners, videos, animations, meeting documents, etc;
- Perform general administrative tasks to support the project implementation related to knowledge management products, including the preparation and/or processing of administrative requests and documents;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Programme Manager.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law and/or International Relations, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- Completed High School degree with at least five years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience in project implementation;
- Proven record of researching, editing and publishing in-depth reports on complex topics;
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely in English and French;
- Demonstrated experience in converting information into info-graphics;
- Excellent level of computer literacy including video composition and Adobe Creative Cloud;
- Excellent cmmunicatin skills with a strong background in new media;
- Experience in liaison with national, regional, and international institutions;
- Excellent organizational skills including experience with the organization of large events and meetings;
- Demonstrated ability to deliver quality work under tight timeframes;
- Previous experience working in an international context is an asset.
Fluency in English and French is required. Knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int by 18 October 2017 midnight at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
To download Personal History Form please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 04.10.2017 until 18.10.2017