The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Representation Office in Brussels, Belgium has a position for a qualified intern for a period of 6 months, starting on 1 February 2016.
UNDP partners with national governments and people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. Active in more than 170 countries and territories, UNDP offers a global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations. UNDP helps countries to build and share development solutions in the following four main areas:
- Sustainable Development
- Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
- Climate and Disaster Resilience
In all its work, UNDP works to ensure the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
The UN/UNDP Brussels Representation Office has a coordinating role in leading the UN Brussels Team (UNBT) in its objective to maintain, nurture and develop its partnership with the European Union (EU) Institutions and EU Member States. In recent years, this partnership has gained in intensity, as has the UNBT’s role in projecting a unitary UN image to its partners. The UNBT today constitutes 23 specialized UN agencies, funds and programmes.
The Office is seeking an intern who will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Coordination Specialist. The incumbent will ensure overall coordination support to the efficient functioning of UN/UNDP’s coordination mandate. This will include assistance in bringing together the different UN entities to improve the effective delivery of development and humanitarian assistance on the ground, whilst ensuring visibility and dissemination of UN messages and initiatives. In addition, the intern will provide analytical support by researching and monitoring EU and UN policy developments, as well as administrative, organizational and reporting support to the UN Coordination Specialist.
Duties and Responsibilities
In close collaboration with the UN Coordination Specialist, the intern shall perform the following tasks:
- Research and monitor EU and UN policy developments, with particular emphasis on matters relating to the 2030 Agenda/Sustainable Development Goals, Migration/Displacement, the World Humanitarian Summit, and other areas to be identified;
- Provide assistance in the drafting of correspondence, briefings and reports on all issues relevant to EU-UN coordination matters;
- Provide support in the implementation of overall UN advocacy efforts towards the EU Institutions (research, information gathering, stakeholder analysis, briefings, event planning);
- Assist in the preparation of and follow-up on meetings and public events.
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills;
- Strong organizational and research skills;
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time;
- Ability to contribute effectively in team-based setting;
- Computer proficiency in standard software applications (MS Office, Excel, Word, Powerpoint);
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modelling the UN/UNDP’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Eligibility and skills Education:
Candidate must be a student, enrolled in a graduate-level degree programme (development studies, international relations, political science, sociology, public administration, law or other relevant disciplines) at the time of application and during the internship. Candidates that have graduated are not eligible for internship.
Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in French is a significant asset.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1st 2015