UNDP partners with national governments and people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. Active in more than 170 countries and territories, UNDP offers a global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations. UNDP helps countries to build and share development solutions in the following four main areas:
- Sustainable Development
- Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
- Climate and Disaster Resilience
In all its work, UNDP works to ensure the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
UNDP Representation Office in Brussels is seeking a graduate student with an interest in development issues and EU affairs, web publishing, social media and traditional media to assist in increasing visibility of UNDP-EU partnership and cooperation. The internship will provide the opportunity to assist in managing online communication, ensuring visibility of UNDP-EU partnership and be engaged in developing the annual UN-EU Partnership Report.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Communications Specialist, the intern shall perform the following tasks:
- Support the management of UNDP Brussels’ Twitter, including regular updates (tweets, posts, shares etc.), identification of influencers (including EU officials) and personal communications with followers. Explore best practices and how other organizations and companies are using them to maximize the impact and visibility opportunities;
- Implement periodic updates to UNDP Brussels website (web posts) through writing/editing and updating content;
- Provide support in the formulation of the UN-EU partnership report by conducting research, collecting and consolidating inputs, revising the drafts, layout and printing.
- Support the creation and maintenance of a media database and research information on media outlets and journalists to build new targeted lists for specific issues;
- Research and collect information on themes relevant for the reports and briefs produced by UNDP Brussels.
- Assist in the organization of conferences, forums, or other collaborative events.
- Strong organizational and research skills;
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN/UNDP;
- Computer proficiency in standard software applications (MS Office, Excel, Word, Powerpoint);
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modelling the UN/UNDP’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Eligibility and skills Education:
Candidate must be a student, enrolled in a graduate-level degree programme (development or communications-related field, such as journalism, interactive telecommunications, international relations, political science, sociology, public or business administration, or other relevant disciplines) at the time of application and during the internship. Candidates that have graduated are not eligible for internship.
Language: Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in French is a significant asset.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1st 2015