If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision of the Chief, Planning and Evaluation, the staff member will be responsible for all evaluation functions; planning, development and implementation of the Plan for Research and Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation (PRIME); and other research-related tasks to support Programme Sections.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Lead evaluation functions and capacity development initiatives with a view to generating evaluative knowledge to strengthen programming. Ensure UNICEF India compliance to Evaluation Policy and Regional Strategy. Lead the effort to support evaluation capacity development with the Central Government, State Governments, and other development partners. Provide evaluation technical assistance to programmes at the state level. Identify areas of strategic collaboration and seek relevant partnerships.
2. Contribute towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis and the 2018-2022 Country Programme Document. Write the annual report for UNICEF India. Collaborate with programmes and field offices, as well as relevant partners.
3. Prepare Country Programme Plan for Research and Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation (PRIME) and regularly track progress and report to senior management. Provide quality assurance to Terms of Reference and technical inputs to evaluations, research, and studies conducted by Programmes and Field Offices.
4. Participate in Programme mid-year and annual reviews. Analyze and evaluate data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary.
5. Participate in the development of the PPE Section’s workplan and ensure compliance to specific assigned objectives. Provide guidance and support to staff.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in social sciences, statistics, and planning development. Educational background and training in process, outcome, and impact evaluation and rigorous research an asset.
Minimum Five (5) years of progressively responsible relevant work experience at national and international levels in evaluation and research. A successful candidate should have experience in managing a project, study, research, or evaluation (developing a terms of reference, recruiting a qualified agency to undertake the activity, managing the contract and ensuring milestones are met on a timely basis, ensuring project costs are within and approved budget, ensuring that objectives are adequately addressed, and providing quality assurance). Proven experience in capacity development is an asset.
Fluency in English required. Knowledge of and another UN language an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
– Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
– Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
– Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
– Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
– Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
– Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
– Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
– Creates organization-wide processes to help ensure that all adhere to procedures and policies.
– Adjusts team or department`s approach to embrace changing circumstances.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
a) Specific Technical Knowledge & Competencies Required
· Knowledge of Project/Programme/Impact Evaluation.
· Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Evaluation Process Management, Follow-up on Recommendations and Dissemination of evaluation results.
· Emerging international good practices in monitoring and evaluation.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required
· Professional technical knowledge/expertise in methodology of research and evaluation, including theories, standards and models, quantitative/qualitative/mixed methods, validity/reliability testing of data, data analysis and interpretation, and statistical inference methods.
· Professional technical knowledge/expertise in evaluation design, data analysis, and reporting.
· Gender equality and diversity awareness
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
· Professional/technical knowledge/expertise in team management, coaching & training.
· Mastery of UNICEF’s research and evaluation policies and procedures.
· Latest research and evaluation theory, methodology, technology and tools.
· Understanding of UN Mission and system, current key UN topics; and International Code of Conduct.
· Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
· UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Applications close: India Standard Time