If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
The Digital Strategy Section (DSS) within the Division of Communication comprises Web, Social Media and Multimedia teams working together to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital services within the organization. Through multiple platforms and in multiple languages, DSS draws attention to the many facets of UNICEF’s work, encouraging public support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability.
Web stories, blog entries, photo essays, Facebook posts, Twitter campaigns, and videos for distribution via UNICEF.org, YouTube, news media and other outlets and platforms – all are a part of our digital storytelling. By measuring and testing our efforts, we also use data to inform content and engagement choices.
DSS seeks to hire a technical project manager to oversee the web development work for unicef.org and other sites hosted within UNICEF’s corporate CMS, as well as provide technical guidance on any web component for global campaigns.
Purpose of the position:
UNICEF has engaged in a multiyear Digital Transformation Project which includes among the main deliverables a change of the current publishing platform both for websites and blogs. In parallel, UNICEF’s core digital team continues with the work needed to maintain the current publishing platform and to provide digital support around digital flagship publications, as well as other key communication initiatives with a digital component.
The technical project manager will oversee the web development work for unicef.org, and other sites hosted within UNICEF’s corporate CMS, as well as provide technical guidance on any web component for global campaigns. This is a hands-on position that will require overseeing consultants but also executing front-end development. In addition, he or she will participate in the technical work the organization has started to re-design and re-platform its main online properties, including global, regional and country sites, known as the Digital Transformation Project.
- Participate in coordination meetings with members of the web team and other divisions
- Work closely with project managers
- Manage the development project queue
- Manage the production support queue
- Allocate development resources to each web project
- Oversee the execution of the work throughout all stages (from conception to launch)
- Ensure all products meet minimum standards of quality
- Coordinate and work with IT in all aspects of the corporate CMS (maintenance, testing, upgrades)
- Coordinate and work with DTP Technical Lead in all technical aspects related to the transition to the new platform.
- Coordinate QA both internally within DSS and with IT when required
- Ensure all projects and processes are properly documented
- Manage the web development team including:
o Assign work to each consultant web developer
o Provide developers with the information, resources and time needed to execute a request
o Oversee the web development work
o Ensure that other members of the Division of Communication understand development time frames and agree to them
o Hire web development resources and conduct performance reviews
o Ensure that there is always web technical support, including during holidays
o Foster good team spirit and knowledge exchange
- Oversee the rollout of new portal templates for unicef.org using UNICEF’s corporate CMS: OpenText (RedDot)
- Support back-end development: PHP, RQL (RedDot), and do other scripting work to develop the necessary functionality and templates and implement approved designs assigned by the supervisor
- Develop/review/modify RedDot templates as needed
- Coordinate the test, debug QA on all development projects, as required
- Develop skeletons for website development
- Provide documentation of all executed development work
- Provide production support to Country Offices and HQ users, for issues that require more technical expertise
- Roll out RedDot templates to be used by Country Offices and HQ
- Provide training as needed to members of the web development team
- Support the Digital Transformation Project on technical assessments as needed
- May be asked to work on weekends
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
How to Apply:
Closing date is 25 February 2016.