Terms of Reference for Programme Assistant – Education Section
Under the close supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the programme assistant will support the Education section through providing a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring Education programme activities ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
- Assist in processing government requests for assistance, ensuring that the request is for an approved activity, submitted in the prescribed format, completed correctly, signed by authorized signatories and accompanied by a realistic cost estimate in line with HACT guidelines.
- Carry out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments, tracking expiring programme grants, ensuring programme results, activities and programme coding are as per annual work plans (AWPs); make amendments and alterations as per section revisions when necessary. Support the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners pertaining to the section
- Follow up both internally with the Supply section and externally with counterparts to ensure supplies for programme implementation are delivered in a timely and accurate manner. Assist in preparing supply and non-supply requisition after verification of specifications, cost, budget availability and checking for accuracy and coding.
- Draft payment requests, monitor advances to government and follow up the liquidation of accounts and all related correspondence and documentation, bringing problem areas to the attention of the concerned Programme Officer or supervisor. Conduct periodic spot check with implementing partners.
- Compiles data and information on subject matters relevant to the work of the section to facilitate preparation of reports, working papers, and presentations; monitors programme, progress in the field and provide field trip reports as well as take appropriate follow-up actions in consultation with concerned programme officer.
- Attend office meetings and other external meetings with government, local counterparts and other cooperation agencies, in the absence of programme officer if required.
- Arranges meetings, workshops and training courses pertaining to programme development, and provides support in making the necessary logistical arrangements. Draft routine letters and memos for the section and take minutes of section meetings; maintain proper filing of all documents and records.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Very good knowledge in computer operation; knowledge of Excel will be an advantage
- Good knowledge of English and local language (s) both verbal and written.
- Good knowledge in Finance
- Willing to work in a multi-cultural team
Competencies and level of proficiency required (based on UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles)
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning & Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
Duration and Timeframe:
The duration for the temporary position will be for a period of 360 days starting 01 June 2016.
Estimated cost and Terms of Payment:
The Person will be paid on a monthly basis at level of GS5.
Advertised: West Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: West Pacific Standard Time