Do you have the curiosity and inclination to go beneath the surface of problems, to shape reality through data and raise awareness of the power and potential of data? Are you attracted by the power of data and how it can be used to innovate and transform scientific organisations such as the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) into open science organisations? Are you innovative and results-driven? Do you have solid technological literacy and can you communicate innovative ideas clearly with internal and external stakeholders? If you see yourself in the above job description, then this job vacancy could be for you.
You will be joining the organisation at an exciting time as a number of high-profile transformation projects are gaining momentum. The Senior Scientific Officer will be employed in the Evidence Management Unit (DATA) within the Risk Assessment and Scientific Assistance Department (RASA).
This is a transversal role and primarily encompasses the following responsibilities:
- Lead innovation for increasing data re-use, with new users and novel applications to generate new knowledge from data working with internal/external end-users to implement them;
- Drive the implementation of EFSA’s data roadmap working with multi-disciplinary project teams to ensure strong co-operation across the organisation in view of
- co-ordination, planning, development, harmonization and implementation of activities of the roadmap and its alignment with other related internal activities and EFSA’s overall strategy;establishment of a data management framework at organisational level, including data governance;
- reconciliation of data sources ensuring that their origin and life cycle management are transparent;
- Oversee and manage innovative projects with high complexity, strategic value and executive visibility co-ordinating the work of multi-disciplinary project teams;
- Launch and manage external contracts;
- Lead collaboration with external stakeholders (i.e. Member State data providers and other organisations responsible for submitting data to EFSA) to foster their engagement and support;
- Establish and enhance co-operation with relevant Directorates General and Services of the European Commission, EU agencies, international organisations and relevant industries to improve interoperability with external data sources and ensure alignment with open data standards, and to promote openness, accessibility and usability of data;
- Advise EFSA management on issues relating to data and champion a data-driven decision making culture;
- Pro-actively communicate EFSA’s data roadmap and its implementation internally and externally;
- Lead and develop communication initiatives to increase visibility of EFSA data.
The jobholder will report to the Head of the Evidence Management Unit (DATA).
Location: Parma, Italy
Application deadline: 24 August 2015