Reference Number: 170972
Department: Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department
Division: Regional Cooperation and Integration Division
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017
Closing Date: Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC: “Understanding the impacts of remittances on household welfare and inequality in the Pacific.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The assignment consists of conducting economic research on the issue of migration and remittances for selected countries in the Pacific. A study will be carried out to identify causal effects of remittances on household welfare and inequality as well as its implications for labor market and community development. To this end, Intern will conduct brief literature review, collate household/community data, and conduct economic analysis based on suitable econometric methods. The outcome of the research and related policy implications/recommendations will be presented as a research paper.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 15 weeks
- Timing: June 2018
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Review of literature examining at the impacts of migration and remittances on household welfare (such as consumption, health, education, housing, investments and saving), inequality, labor market, and community development in the Pacific and other regions.
- Research proposal consisting of suitable statistical models and techniques to identify causal effect of migration and remittances on selected household welfare and inequality indicators
- Database meeting the data requirement of the proposed research
- Draft research paper
- Presentation of the paper in a seminar
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
PhD candidate in development economics or relevant social science fields.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience in conducting microeconomic analysis on household welfare, inequality, employment, population and migration issues, and other related fields.
- Experience in collating and analyzing large household data of developing countries.
- Extensive knowledge of econometric and statistical approaches.
- Proficiency in statistical and mathematical programming software such as STATA, MATLAB, and EVIEWS.
- Has excellent writing and presentation skills.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).