Reference Number: 170982
Department: Office of Risk Management
Division: Policy and Systems Division
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017
Closing Date: Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC: “Quantitative Analysis in Risk and Capital Management.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The cornerstone of our risk management philosophy is ensuring sustainability of the ADB’s goal of poverty alleviation through safeguarding the Bank’s rating, advising the Board and Management on risk issues, and promoting a strong risk culture. To achieve this, Office of Risk management (ORM) continuously improves its complex methodologies and tools, which reflect a unique risk profile and processes of a multilateral development bank (MDB).
In this program, the intern will be placed on the Policy and Systems Division’s team to:
- Work on updating quantitative models and methods for risk measurement of credit / market risks, including stress testing.
- Perform mathematical and statistical modeling for parameter analysis and/or model validation.
- Obtain and query large amounts of internal and external data (empirical-statistical analysis).
- Prepare reports and presentations on model/methodology changes for internal stakeholders.
- Closely collaborate with the Division’s team members.
The internship will provide the opportunity to be involved in the actual process of the upgrading and improving of quantitative risk models and methodologies of an MDB. The intern will be able to contribute important ideas and analysis, which will make a genuine impact on ADB’s operations and will gain insights into the skills and behaviors required for building a career as a risk management professional.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 8-12 weeks
- Timing: June 2018
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Final report/presentation on the actual findings and contributions the Division’s activities.
- Any other outputs required by academic curriculum of the Intern.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Currently working towards MS/PhD Degree in Finance/Economics
- At least 4-6 completed semesters of a university-level degree in a quantitative/numerical area (Mathematics,
Computer Science, Econometrics etc.)
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Practical experience with real-world data analysis and mathematical/statistical modelling
- Strong technical skills
- Knowledge of finance and banking (at least to a basic level)
- Experience with programming languages/statistical application packages e.g. R, Matlab, SQ, SAS, SPSS
- Good written documentation skills and conceptual thinking
- A highly motivated and flexible team player with an independent working style
- Fluency in English
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).