Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||Programme and Policy Officer|
|Duty Station||Country Office for Belgium and Luxembourg, Brussels, Belgium|
Type of Appointment
|National Officer Staff, Grade NO-B
Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
|Estimated Start Date||1 January 2018|
|Closing Date||1st November 2017|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the incumbent will be responsible for the overall coordination of the development of new projects, including liaison with the Belgian and Luxembourgish Governments (GoB and GoL); providing policy support and outreach on migration policies including migration and gender in Belgium and Luxembourg; and for providing overall coordination of the Migration and Development portfolio.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
DEVELOPMENT OF NEW PROJECTS, INCLUDING LIAISON WITH THE BELGIAN AND LUXEMBOURGUISH GOVERNMENT (GoB and GoL):
- Identify donor priorities and funding opportunities in Belgium and Luxembourg that correspond to IOM’s institutional and country-specific strategies, expertise and action plan;
- Coordinate development of project documents for GoB and GoL funding;
- Propose, regularly update and share internal SOP’s that allow the IOM Brussels CO to keep track and speed up project development, endorsement, project code issuance and timely start of projects;
- Be aware of the reporting requirements for the different projects. Provide technical guidance to project managers in drafting intermediary and final donor reports for the projects and in submitting these in coordination with the CoM, resource management and for submission of the final reports to relevant IOM departments before sharing them with donors;
- Deliver technical assistance to ensure compliance with contractual requirements during project implementation;
- Assist the CoM in all matters related to the plan of action of the IOM Brussels CO, including the contribution to the reporting of the IOM Brussels CO to HQ and RO;
- Undertake duty travel relating to project development, programme assessment and liaison with donor counterparts as required by the CoM;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
POLICY SUPPORT AND OUTREACH ON MIGRATION POLICIES INCLUDING MIGRATION AND GENDER
- Research, collect and analyse relevant information on priority migration policy and emerging trends within the field of migration and participate in policy formulation, analysis and articulation according to priorities;
- Research, analyse and present GoB’s and GoL’s institutional frameworks and policies and other related data and information for consideration by appropriate parties;
- Present IOM policies and activities to institutions in Belgium and Luxembourg, to other relevant Partner Organizations and participate in various technical level inter-agency and relevant coordination meetings in Brussels in coordination with the CoM;
- Support IOM’s policy inputs to State-led and international or regional processes with regards to Belgium and Luxembourg migration policies and practices according to priorities;
- Stay abreast of policies, international standards and best practices relating to migration and development, Belgian and EU development cooperation;
- Provide advice to colleagues on topics related to LHD (includes Labour Migration and Integration of Migrants & Social Cohesion);
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
OVERALL COORDINATION OF MIGRATION AND DEVELOPMENT PORTFOLIO
- Support the CoM in the development of a strategy for the Migration and Development (M&D) portfolio;
- Support coordination of the Migration and Development portfolio and its related projects;
- Supervise project staff to ensure prompt and high quality support to IOM Missions funded by the M&D portfolio;
- Provide in-house advice on the identification and analysis of current policies and factual information on M&D at international, European and Belgian levels;
- Provide thematic guidance and technical advice on migration and development and related donor priorities and funding opportunities;
- Participate in timely and high quality drafting of concept notes/project proposals in the area of M&D and of Migration & Gender or other themes linked to Labour Human Development (LHD);
- Liaise with GoB and GoL counterparts in all matters relating to migration and development in coordination with the CoM;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master degree in International Affairs, Political and Social Sciences, Economics and Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Political and Social Sciences, Economics and Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Working experience in the area of project development, implementation, reporting or monitoring of programmes;
- Demonstrated experience in migration and international protection policies including resettlement issues at national and EU level is required;
- Sound knowledge of the EU/GoB funding mechanisms;
- Experience in liaison with non-governmental, national, regional and international institutions is required;
- Experience in liaising with EU Institutions is a distinctive advantage.
Fluency in English, as well as in French and/or Dutch is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int by 1st November 2017 midnight at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
To download Personal History Form please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 18.10.2017 until 01.11.2017