Vacancy Notice N° o47/2016
Senior Project Officer (Grade B5)
Office of the Directorate General of Programmes
Council of Europe Office in Belgrade
Under the authority of the Head of Office and the supervision of the Head of the Criminal Law Cooperation Unit, Directorate of Information Society and Action against Crime, Directorate General I: Human Rights and Rule of Law, the Senior Project Officer will carry out multiple assignments to help meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of a project under the Tri-Annual Plan of Action (TAPA) for Serbia “Enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Serbia” under the European Union/Council of Europe Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey.
Employment is limited to the duration of the Project. The expected start date of the Project is January 2017.
The Senior Project Officer performs the following key duties in accordance with the Council of Europe’s procedures, guidelines and priorities with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- Plan, organise and follow up on project activities (seminars, round-tables, conferences, expert meetings, etc.) in accordance with the project work plan, its calendar of activities and in close co-operation with headquarters and counterparts;
- Ensure quality and relevance of programmes for activities, secure local and international speakers, prepare documentation and oversee the preparation by local partners; report any problems encountered; suggest priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- Serve as country Tri-Annual Plan of Action (TAPA) theme advisor;
- Assist CoE experts to ‘translate’ standards into the domestic context;
- Provide substance input on specific activities (providing regular advice to Headquarters about national developments in the thematic area, prepare by-monthly reporting);
- Provides substance theme/legal research regarding TAPA interventions;
- Co-lead the national Steering Committee Meetings;
- Participate in meetings between CoE experts and national authorities to increase the capacity in the country;
- Ensure strategic decisions are carried out;
- Provide effective assessment of results and achievements and regular advice to the Programme Manager about problems encountered; suggests priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- Provide technical and substance briefings to short-term experts prior and during their missions;
- Draft terms of reference for different contractual engagements that are aimed at implementing each project activity;
- Select local service providers and negotiate contracts in consultation with headquarters;
- Monitor and follow up on purchase orders, contracts and mission orders, travel and accommodation;
- Ensure close budgetary follow-up of all project expenditures, in accordance with CoE regulations and procedures and donor requirements;
- Provide and draft reports on the project;
- Prepare relevant meetings and draft meeting minutes and lists of decisions;
- Prepare mission reports related to programme activities;
- Draft briefing notes, speeches, speaking points, official correspondence and other contributions;
- Contribute to raising the visibility of the project by providing substantial input for HF Newsletter, website and social media;
- Inform regularly the Head of the Council of Europe Office about the implementation of the project and co-ordinates his/her work within the broader framework of the overall action of the Office;
- Contribute to the efficient functioning of the office, in collaboration with the Head of Office, the Deputy Head of Office and the direct Project management in headquarters;
- Undertake official journeys in connection with the activities described above.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Location : Belgrade, Serbia
Closing date: 21 September 2016