Senior Project Officer (Grade B5)
Office of the Directorate General of Programmes
Council of Europe Office in Podgorica
Under the authority of the Co-ordinator for the CoE/EU Horizontal Facility, and the supervision of the Head of the Criminal Law Cooperation Unit, Directorate of Information Society and Action against Crime, Directorate General I: Human Rights and Rule of Law, the Senior Project Officer will carry out multiple assignments to help meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of a project under the Tri-Annual Plan of Action (TAPA) for Montenegro “Enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro” under the European Union/Council of Europe Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey.
Employment is limited to the duration of the Project. The expected start date of the Project is 1 October 2016.
The Senior Project Officer performs the following key duties in accordance with the Council of Europe’s procedures, guidelines and priorities with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- Plan, organise and follow up on project activities (seminars, round-tables, conferences, expert meetings, etc.) in accordance with the project work plan, its calendar of activities and in close co-operation with headquarters and counterparts;
- Ensure quality and relevance of programmes for activities, secure local and international speakers, prepare documentation and oversee the preparation by local partners; report any problems encountered; suggest priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- Serve as country Tri-Annual Plan of Action (TAPA) theme advisor;
- Assist CoE experts to ‘translate’ standards into the domestic context;
- Provide substance input on specific activities (providing regular advice to Headquarters about national developments in the thematic area, prepare by-monthly reporting);
- Provides substance theme/legal research regarding TAPA interventions;
- Co-lead the national Steering Committee Meetings;
- Participate in meetings between CoE experts and national authorities to increase the capacity in the country;
- Ensure strategic decisions are carried out;
- Provide effective assessment of results and achievements and regular advice to the Programme Manager about problems encountered; suggests priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- Provide technical and substance briefings to short-term experts prior and during their missions;
- Draft terms of reference for different contractual engagements that are aimed at implementing each project activity;
- Select local service providers and negotiate contracts in consultation with headquarters;
- Monitor and follow up on purchase orders, contracts and mission orders, travel and accommodation;
- Ensure close budgetary follow-up of all project expenditures, in accordance with CoE regulations and procedures and donor requirements;
- Provide and draft reports on the project;
- Prepare relevant meetings and draft meeting minutes and lists of decisions;
- Prepare mission reports related to programme activities;
- Draft briefing notes, speeches, speaking points, official correspondence and other contributions;
- Contribute to raising the visibility of the project by providing substantial input for HF Newsletter, website and social media;
- Inform regularly the the Programme Co-ordinator about the implementation of the project and co-ordinates his/her work within the broader framework of the overall action of the programme office;
- Contribute to the efficient functioning of the Office, in collaboration with the Programme Co-ordinator, and the direct Project management in headquarters;
- Undertake official journeys in connection with the activities described above.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Closing date: 28 July 2016
Location : Podgorica, Montenegro