Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
The Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law (MPFPR) is looking to fill a position for a Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow in the Jordan project.
Term: Fixed term (1 year), with possibility of extension
Closing date for applications: 08.12.2017
The Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law (MPFPR) is based in Heidelberg. It continues the extensive consulting, training and research projects of the “Global Knowledge Transfer” working group, which existed from 2002 to 2012 at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (MPIL). Within the framework of its research activities, MPFPR carries out several “Global Knowledge Transfer Projects” in various countries (see: http://www.mpfpr.de). MPFPR projects focus on consultancy, capacity building and provision of technical expertise in the fields of public international law, comparative constitutional law and the rule of law in post-conflict countries and countries in transition.
The Research Fellow will implement project activities promoting the rule of law, including capacity building workshops and technical legal advice in the areas of public international law and constitutional law. Specific topical focus areas could include jurisprudence, comparative constitutional law, rules of procedure and judicial mechanisms.
Under the supervision of the Head of Projects, the successful candidate shall
- provide technical legal advice and assistance to project partners;
- undertake advanced legal research;
- organise and hold legal training workshops for state actors, legal personnel and other target groups in the project country;
- travel to the project country and liaise with local partners;
- contribute to the administrative and logistical aspects of project implementation;
- contribute to project reporting, monitoring and evaluation tasks.
Education and Professional Experience
- Advanced degree in Law (LL.M; Ph.D.); or
- 5+ years demonstrable experience as a Lawyer or Legal Advisor in constitutional law/human rights law/public international law;
- Extensive knowledge of public international law and comparative constitutional law is required;
- Ability to deliver high-level academic work.
- Profile of successful candidates must demonstrate an area of specialisation or practical experience relating to the relevant regional or topical focus areas;
- Professional experience or research related to constitutional law or legal research in the MENA region is highly advantageous;
- Work experience in the MENA region preferable.
- Fluency in English is essential (oral and written);
- Fluency in Arabic is essential (oral and written).
Other Skills & Competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills in a multi-cultural environment, including excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team setting;
- Flexibility, including demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to adapt to changing work and project circumstances and to respond to unforeseen developments;
- Excellent organisational skills, skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to present high-level academic work to non-experts in a service-orientated manner;
- Willingness to travel frequently to the project country for workshops and related activities;
- Willingness to be based in Heidelberg, Germany, for the period of the contract;
- Computer literacy skills with standard software.
Assessment of qualified candidates will include a competency-based test and interview. Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The MPFPR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified men and women, including those with disabilities, to apply.
The Position is contingent upon funding.
The Research Fellow is based in Heidelberg, Germany, with frequent travels to the region.
Remuneration will be based on the Collective Agreement on Public Service Wages under German Law (Tarifvertrag des Öffentlichen Dienstes – TVöD).
Closing date: 08.12.2017