Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. The successful applicant will be offered an appointment limited to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL). Any subsequent extension(s) are subject to terms of the Tribunal’s mandate and/or the availability of the funds. The Special Tribunal for Lebanon is an international inter-governmental organization with its own independent legal identity and not a UN organization. However, STL follows the UN common system for benefits and entitlements to its staff members. UN staff members may also serve on loan from their parent department/office, if selected. Appointment against this post is on a local basis.
Under the supervision of the Head of the External Translation Services Unit, the incumbent will be expected to perform administrative tasks related to the provision of outsourced translation services, including the coordination of translation projects, assigning language tasks, ensuring the smooth running of translation workflows and timely delivery to clients.
The incumbent will also be required to: ensure clear written and oral communication with clients, external language professionals and colleagues; ensure the quality of the post-production of external translations, compile accurate statistical and translation related reports, ensure administrative support for the extension and maintenance of the roster of external language services providers; follow and apply internal policies, guidelines, instructions and actively contribute to improving them.
If operations so demand, the incumbent may be required to: post-produce external translations, produce draft translations of evidentiary and other documents from Arabic into English and vice versa; transcribe speech from audio and video files; review audio transcription produced by peers; produce written summaries of documents; assist specialists in reviewing Arabic or English language material; provide sight translation of texts; provide ad hoc language assistance as required; use established STL terminology, templates and conventions; strive for consistency with the output of other language assistants; work to deadline and produce a set volume of output and/or perform other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills
• Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
• Planning and Organising – Ability to establish priorities, coordinate with others and handle a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner.
• Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills, willingness to share knowledge and encourage cooperation, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Accountability – Ability to work well and consistently, while observing strict deadlines.
• Communication- Ability to write in a clear and concise fashion and to communicate effectively orally.
• Technological Awareness – Proficiency in MS Office applications (e.g. MS Word, Excel) and other IT applications; knowledge of computer-assisted translation and terminology systems is desirable.
• Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
• Experience: At least 5 years of experience in a language and/or coordination-related function.
• Languages: Arabic, English and French are the official languages of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. For this post fluency in oral and written Arabic and a very good command of written English is required. Knowledge of French is an asset. Applicants may be invited to sit a written test.
• Other: Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure. Demonstrated ability to use computer technology. Good organisation and interpersonal skills are a strong asset.
Application deadline: 14 April 2016