Duty Station: IOM Ljubljana
Type of Appointment: Five months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 12th December 2015
Reference Code: 2/2015
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Field Operations Assistant, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of IOM’s Emergency Response Programme in the assigned field locations to assist migrants and refugees. This position provides interpretation services to support the work of the Mobile Team unit in activities related to migrant health assistance.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Travel with the Mobile Unit staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed.
Provide direct interpretation services for activities related to migrant health and other types of assistance provided by IOM staff.
Provide direct bilateral and multilateral interpretation services.
Facilitate the two-way communication by maintaining professionalism, diligence, impartiality, objectivity, and being cooperative and courteous to both refugees/migrants and IOM staff at all times.
Abide by IOM codes of conduct.
Assist with clerical duties as needed.
Respond to queries relating to the area of responsibility.
Perform and undertake other duties as assigned by the Mobile Team Unit Coordinator/Chief of Mission.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
2. Client Orientation
• Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
3. Continuous Learning
• Contributes to colleagues’ learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Actively shares relevant information
• Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
5. Performance Management
• Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
• Actively supports and implements final group decisions
• Effectively applies knowledge of IOM SoPs, administrative policies and procedures in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level.
Excellent command of Arabic and Slovenian and/or English, both oral and written, is mandatory.
The applicants should hold a minimum of high school diploma or completed equivalent linguistic school.
Minimum two years of relevant work experience as an interpreter.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit their resumes/CVs and cover letter specifying the motivation for applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 12 December 2015 at the latest, referring to this advertisement and specifying the exact Reference Code (02/2015) of the position in the email subject title. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position is open to Slovenian nationals and candidates with a valid working permit in Slovenia.