Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||:||Head of Office|
|Duty Station||:||Vienna, Austria|
|Classification||:||General Service Staff, Grade G7|
|Type of Appointment||:||Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||:||01st July 2016|
|Closing Date||:||June 8, 2016|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director of the RO for the European Economic Area, the European Union and NATO in Brussels Regional Office Brussels) and in close cooperation with relevant missions in the field and units at Headquarters (HQs), the Head of Office will be responsible for overseeing and managing activities of the IOM Country Office in Austria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Promote the full range of IOM services in Austria and keep the Regional Office Brussels and HQs informed of relevant country specific concerns and programmatic developments;
- Manage the implementation of IOM activities in Austria, including the operational, administrative, budgetary, human resources and financial activities of the IOM Country Office Vienna, as well as the supervision of its staff;
- Work closely with the local government and donors to identify opportunities for partnership and cooperation as well as advise on developments in the field of migration and prepare proposals for appropriate actions answering these;
- On matters pertaining the IOM Country Office Vienna, maintain liaison with local governmental authorities and diplomatic missions, UN agencies, international, regional and non-governmental organizations as well as voluntary agencies, airlines and public media;
- In close coordination with relevant Regional Thematic Specialists at Regional Office Brussels prepare, participate in the review and adjustment of project documents and proposals for submission to potential donors while ensuring consistency with national and sub-regional priorities and available resources. Assist the Regional Director with the negotiation of agreements with donors, in close coordination with relevant units in HQs.
- Monitor the development and implementation of IOM projects and operations in Austria and prepare progress reports as required. Provide guidance and information, analyze operational procedures and project effectiveness;
- Report and advise on developments in the field of migration and on governmental policies affecting the activities of IOM and prepare proposals for appropriate action and for new IOM activities;
- Prepare regular and special reports covering IOM activities; prepare briefings and background information requested by HQs, the Government and other entities;
- Analyze operational and administrative activities and prepare recommendations with a view to increasing their effectiveness and streamlining procedures;
- Contribute to and provide assistance related to regional priorities;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree, preferably post-graduate degree in Political or Social Science, Law and/or Business Administration
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing migration and refugee related activities (either operational/ field and/or academic/management);
- Ability and experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national, regional and international institutions;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Good knowledge of and experience in, the culture and traditions of the country
Fluency in English and German is required.
Other official languages of IOM are advantageous.
- Accountability – Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA), Accepts and gives constructive criticism, Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies, Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs, Monitors own work to correct errors, Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Client Orientation – Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work, Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries, Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Continuous Learning – Contributes to colleagues’ learning, Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills, Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas, Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Communication – Actively shares relevant information, Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures, Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience, Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services, Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones, Persuades others to consider new ideas, Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources, Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change, Presents goals as shared interests, Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues, Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers, Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations, Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures, Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others, Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others, Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility, Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers, Identifies risks and makes contingency plans, Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals, Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities, Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities, Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation, Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress, Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity, Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts, Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment, Contributes to, and follows team objectives, Gives credit where credit is due, Seeks input and feedback from others, Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate, Actively supports and implements final group decisions, Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
- Technological Awareness – Learns about developments in available technology, Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions, Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work.
- Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs, Builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties, Identifies sources of and secures funding from external stakeholders to meet the needs of IOM
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Applications (CV and motivation/cover letter) should be addressed in English, to ROBrusselsRMHR@IOM.int quoting the above vacancy notice number.
Closing date: 8th June 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 25.05.2016 to 08.06.2016