The Geological Surveys of Europe (EGS) seeks to appoint a full-time (38 hours/week), dynamic and motivated Communications Intern to provide support on graphical designing, CMS and socialmedia, and organisation of events. The Communications Intern will work under the supervision of the Secretary General responding directly to the Communications Manager, and in close collaboration with EGS Secretariat staff members, either keeping them updated of the activities directly carried out, or interacting with them for those activities requiring team work. Moreover, the person will participate in the day-to-day functioning of the Secretariat, including carrying out administrative and secretarial duties. He/she will be part of a dynamic international team operating in a continuously evolving environment at the heart of the EU area.
The Communications Intern will be based in Brussels, and he/she has to be able/available to travel in case it is required.
About EuroGeoSurveys (EGS)
EGS is a non-profit organisation of the Geological Surveys of Europe, the national institutions responsible for geological inventory, monitoring, knowledge and research.
For 45 years the main objective of EuroGeoSurveys has been to contribute to society’s welfare. We turn geoscientific information into European wide knowledge, technologies and services easily accessible and beneficial to society and economic growth.
Our principal purpose is to provide public Earth science knowledge to support the EU’s competitiveness, social well-being, environmental management and international commitments. For more information, visit: http://www.eurogeosurveys.org/
The overall objectives of the EGS communications strategy are to communicate our results and our strength to key stakeholders (encompassing the European Commission officers, policy makers, international institutions, researchers, media, citizens, etc.) and enhance the awareness on the importance of geology for economy, society and environment.
Tasks and responsibilities of the Communications Intern
• Communicating our work through social media (twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) and website (updating, editing, increasing EGS visibility, etc.);
• Supporting the Communications activities: drafting, proofreading, editing (publications, newsletter articles, etc.);
• Supporting events organisation (institutional meetings, workshops, etc.) and logistics, including support in the management of the EGS Meeting Room;
• Monitoring and reporting on communication statistics;
• Maintaining and updating the EGS database of European journalists;
• Monitoring media coverage and conducting media analysis;
• Supporting the editing and the design of publications;
• Providing back-up for colleagues where needed;
• Taking on other tasks when required.
• A university degree or higher education in Communications Sciences, EU Affairs, Marketing or equivalent;
• An excellent English speaker, writer and editor, able to express herself/himself in a clear and concise manner;
• Demonstrated interest in environmental policy/geosciences.
Working experience in the communications field, expertise in multimedia and social media, knowledge of other languages and knowledge of geological topics and of the EU system functioning are considered an asset.
• Practical experience in using Photoshop, InDesign, and/or similar graphical programmes;
• IT skills (MS Office, Desktop Publishing software, graphic editor, etc.) and, ideally, experience with Content Management Systems such WordPress.
Moreover, the incumbent is expected to bring strong communications skills and ability to work both independently and in a team. Strong organisational skills, flexibility, attention to details, ability to work under tight deadlines, under pressure and in a multicultural environment are necessary.
EGS offers a lively and attractive working environment with room for autonomy and personal growth, and ample opportunity for participating in the exciting area of international networking.
The position of Communications Intern is a full time position (38 hrs/week). The contract is on a fixed term basis for a duration of 7 months, and remunerated in accordance to Belgian law.
Cover letter and European Format CV should be submitted electronically, to the attn. of Mrs. Céline Andrien, (email@example.com and in cc: firstname.lastname@example.org) specifying: “Application to the position of Communication Intern” in the subject line.
Deadline for application: 12th of November 2017
In case of selected applicants not resident in Brussels, preliminary interviews could take place via videoconference.