The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is looking to recruit an accounting assistant to provide support with the general ledger accounting and with the periodic and statutory reporting and to assist with the Agency’s treasury management activities.
The European Medicines Agency is a decentralised body of the European Union located in London.
Its core responsibility is the protection and promotion of public health through the evaluation and supervision of medicines.
Candidates on the valid reserve list may also be considered for a different post within the same grade if the job specification and the nature of the role are similar.
This announcement is governed by the General terms and conditions for selection procedures for Temporary Agents.
The Agency offers a five-year renewable contract. The monthly basic salary will be approximately € 3,424, equivalent to € 2,775 net. In addition to this basic salary, the jobholder may be entitled to various allowances, in particular expatriation allowance and family allowances, including education allowance for dependent children. The London weighting (currently 50.7%) will be added to the salary to compensate the cost of living and the effect of the exchange rate EUR/GBP.
The Agency also provides a pension scheme and world-wide health insurance.
The objective of the Finance & Budget department is the management of the Agency’s financial resources according to existing rules and regulations and to ensure sound financial management and transparency of financial transactions for the Agency.
All staff members in Accounting should contribute to the principal objectives of the service and assist the Accounting Officer of the European Medicines Agency in the accomplishment of his responsibilities which are: to maintain the accounts, make payments and collect revenue in accordance with the procedures laid down in the financial regulation; to manage efficiently the cash resources of the agency; to provide accurate, timely financial information to management; to continuously improve the way daily tasks are processed and thereby contribute to efficiency and productivity and to developtrained accounting personnel who provide efficient and friendly service to delegates, national competent authorities, customers, suppliers, banks, staff and other Agency’s partners.
Specific objectives of the jobholder:
Reporting to the Accounting Head of Service the jobholder will be responsible for the following tasks:
General ledger accounting and periodic reporting
- Daily processing of bank entries, dealing with returned amount in liaison with Accounts Payable team and with unidentified receipts in liaison with Accounts Receivable team;
- Monthly preparation of bank reconciliation and reporting thereof;
- Monthly balancing of general ledger, review of adjusting and reversal entries in liaison with the concerned authorising departments as appropriate;
- Periodic analyses of balance sheet and revenue and expenditure accounts, including reconciliation with budgetary accounts and reporting thereof;
- Maintenance of the chart of accounts in accordance with the provisions adopted by the European Commission’s Accounting Officer;
- Back up for matters related to Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and Asset Accounting sub-ledgers;
- Back up to the Accounts Receivable assistant for processing of revenue recognition entries.
Budgetary and financial accounting statutory reporting and auditing
- Provision of general input to the year-end closure procedure, specifically for drafting the cut-off requirements and for the collection of the financial data for the preparation of the Agency’s financial statements in liaison with the responsible decentralised authorising departments;
- Assist with the preparation of the financial statements at 31 December in accordance with the rules adopted by the European Commission’s Accounting Officer and in line with the established internal and statutory deadlines;
- Assist with the preparation of the budgetary outturn account and the financial accounting reporting package in line with the standardised format as laid down by the accounting officer of the Commission for consolidation purposes;
- Assist with the reconciliation of the pre-financing and inter-EU entity balances at 31 December in liaison with the Commission DG Budget, the EMA parent DG and/or other EU Agencies financial contact points;
- Preparation of the fixed assets movement table with detailed list of additions and disposals of fixed assets, including the register of fixed assets at 31 December and the inventory of intangible assets projects in liaison with the responsible authorising departments as appropriate;
- Preparation and maintenance of the supporting documentation (and/or reference to) for all closing balance sheet and statement of financial performance accounts as at 31 December for the external auditing of the Agency’s annual accounts, in liaison with the responsible authorising departments as appropriate;
- Liaison with the external auditors and the European Court of Auditors as required;
- Participating actively in Agency working groups and EU network forums (IAAN) related to EU budgetary and financial accounting matters;
- Assisting with external auditing tendering procedures;
- Back up to the Accounts Payable and the Accounts Receivable assistants for preparation of budgetary implementation reports for auditing and closure purposes.
Treasury management and reporting
- Maintenance of rolling cash-flow projections in EURO and Sterling and reporting thereof to the Head of Service and the Accounting Officer;
- Daily monitoring of EURO/Sterling exchange rate and assist with taking appropriate buy/hold decisions, including forward contracts in line with the provision of the Agency’s Treasury Policy;
- Assist with management and placing of excess funds on short/medium term basis;
- Organising quarterly Agency’s treasury committee meetings;
- Preparation of quarterly treasury reports and reporting thereof to the Agency’s treasury committee;
- Monitoring Agency’s banking terms and conditions and interest market rates;
- Provision of forecast on interest revenue, bank charges and exchange rate differences for budget monitoring purposes;
- Assist with banking tendering procedures.
- Documentation and maintenance of general ledger accounting procedures and processes and provision of coaching and advisory services to EMA staff members as required;
- Act as business process owner for the implementation, support and maintenance of SAP FI General Ledger module;
- Provision of services for the assessment of the economic and financial capacity of tenderers;
- Back up to Accounts Payable assistant for the monthly VAT claim procedure;
- Back up to Accounts Payable for the periodic control of imprest account(s), direct debit and credit card regularisations;
- Any other accounting duty as required.
Location: London, UK
Application deadline: 20 December 2015