Recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to local recruitment regulations and Article 4.3 of the ILO Staff Regulations. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status in Switzerland or who have the right to reside in neighbouring France.
The following are eligible to apply:
– ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
– Other staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are also eligible. They are encouraged to apply and will be given special consideration at the screening and evaluation stage.
– External candidates *
In addition to any interview or testing that may be requested of candidates, successful completion of the Assessment Centre is required for external candidates.
Applicants may be tested to assess skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and/or PowerPoint, or other skills.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: The salary range of this grade is the following: 62902 CHF p.a. (minimum) to 87814 CHF p.a. (maximum). In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
The position is located in the Bureau for Workers’ Activities (ACTRAV). ACTRAV provides support to the workers’ group of the ILO as well as to workers’ organizations at the international and national levels. ACTRAV acts as the link between the Office and workers’ organizations and supports these in playing their role effectively in protecting workers’ rights and interests and in providing effective services to their members.
The position will perform a variety of routine secretarial and general office support tasks involving initiating transactions, processing documents and retrieval of data within defined standard policies and procedures.
The position works under the supervision of the Director of ACTRAV
Description of Duties
1. Organize, classify, shelve and record newly ILO documents, books and publications as well as register new publications in ACTRAV database.
2. Assist colleagues and workers’ organizations by identifying, searching and locating relevant material, usually through the library computerized system.
3. Answer questions and search the database in response to routine queries from users and follow up with officials on matters relating to ACTRAV publications.
4. Send ILO publications to constituents.
5. Process administrative forms (e.g. purchase requisitions, purchase orders, travel authorizations).
6. Make flight reservations.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Word process a variety of documents (correspondence, reports, tables, presentations, manuscripts) using appropriate software. Correct syntax, punctuation, grammar, as well as the proper formatting of material and documents prepared by others to conform with house requirements. Send faxes and electronic mail.
2. File and retrieve correspondence and documents from established filing systems, both manual and automated. Assemble files for meeting purposes according to specific instructions. Input to various databases used by the unit.
3. Provide support to the assembly and distribution of documents for meetings, including necessary word processing. Assist, as instructed, in supporting the logistics of meetings by performing such functions as collecting travel documents (visa, laissez-passer, etc.), from the appropriate service and following up as necessary.
4. Receive telephone and in-person inquiries and refer to the appropriate staff for reply. Make appointments, as requested, for Professional staff of the work unit.
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 6 December 2015