Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||Airport/Transit Assistant|
|Duty Station||Country Office for Belgium and Luxembourg, Brussels, Belgium|
Type of Appointment
|General Service Staff, Grade G3
Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date||29 November 2017|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Officer, and having in mind the potential migrants’ needs for movement assistance, the incumbent will promote dialogue and exchange views, provide counselling services to migrants, partner agencies and other institutions concerned and provide airport assistance to transiting, arriving and departing migrants. In particular, the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide transit assistance at Brussels airport to all migrants transiting under IOM auspices, in co-ordination with the Operations Officer;
- Provide meals and drinks to arriving or transiting passengers at Brussels airport whenever required;
- Receive incoming ABN’s (Advanced Booking Notifications) and TVWR’s (Transit Visa Waiver Requests) for passengers transiting at Brussels Airport and prepare the files;
- Coordinate all transit movements with the Immigration Office and ensure necessary approvals are received;
- Pro-actively find solutions for any issue that may occur such as delays and cancellations of flights, in close coordination with the Operations Officer;
- Report on a daily basis on every transit case departed or any issue that occurred;
- Ensure that statistics on transit cases assisted, be duly reported in the database;
- Maintain regular contacts with airline airport staff as well as federal police and all stakeholders involved at Brussels airport;
- Assist IOM migrants arriving at Brussels airport: welcome them at the gate, assist with border control, luggage collection and customs;
- Accompany migrants from Brussels airport to their final destination in Belgium whenever necessary;
- Assist IOM migrants with the check-in at the airport;
- Assist IOM migrants at the border control, customs and security check and guide them to the boarding gate;
- Meet and assist IOM migrants at the bus meeting point; provide them tickets and guide them through the departure formalities;
- Pay reinstallation grants, excess luggage, costs related to travel documents and transportation costs in the framework of the programme possibilities to migrants whenever necessary and as instructed;
- Assist the Procurement Clerk in various tasks, such as office cars maintenance, mailing, etc.;
- Go, upon request, on duty errands to the bank, the post office, retail shops, embassies, etc.;
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of the Regional Director, staff members or IOM visitors;
- Any other tasks as may be required
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Completed Secondary School degree. Bachelor or Master degree from an accredited academic institution is an advantage.
- Three years of professional experience;
- Good level of computer literacy especially knowledge of MS Office Package is required;
- Operational experience in refugee and migration related issues is highly desirable;
- Working experience (operational or administrative) at Brussels Airport or for a transportation company or travel agency is an advantage.
- Valid driving licence is required.
Fluency in English, as well as in French and/or Dutch is required. Knowledge of any other languages is an asset.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism;
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies;
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs;
- Monitors own work to correct errors;
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and
promotes equal gender participation;
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress;
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives;
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions;
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
- Available to work flexible hours when on duty at the airport is required
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int by 29 November 2017 midnight at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
To download Personal History Form please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 15.11.2017 until 29.11.2017