Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Programme Support Assistant
Duty Station : RO Brussels, Belgium
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : September 11, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Policy and Liaison Officer (Head of the Policy and Programme Support Division) and the direct supervision of the EU/Regional Programme Development Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing EU liaison and project implementation support in the Global Programme Support team.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in monitoring and briefings on developments in the EU’s external migration, development and foreign policies as relevant to IOM activities;
2. Assist in reviewing EU donor priorities, strategies and related funding opportunities as relevant to IOM activities;
3. Assist in liaising with IOM offices, donors and partners on matters related to EU donor strategies, donor compliance, and project implementation;
4. Assist with the implementation and monitoring of project activities, as assigned, in compliance with IOM internal policies and procedures as well as the requirements of the EU and other donors;
5. Assist in supporting IOM projects in their compliance with EU donor requirements and guidelines as well as liaising with EU donor counterparts, as assigned;
6. Assist in drafting and reviewing project proposals and reports in compliance with IOM internal procedures and the EU’s contractual requirements and guidelines;
7. Assist in organizing project and liaison events, meetings, and seminars in collaboration with IOM offices, donors and partners;
8. Assist in drafting internal and external communications material relevant to IOM-EU operational cooperation, including briefings, info sheets, publications, presentations, Intranet pages, and website articles on IOM-EU cooperation and relevant EU strategy and funding developments;
9. Responsible for the filing and tracking of information and documents within the Global Programme Support team;
10. Perform administrative tasks to support project implementation and the Global Programme Support team, as required;
11. Undertake duty travels and participate in meetings and/or events as required;
12. Perform any other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles;
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Excellent knowledge of EU institutions and EU external migration policies is a requirement;
• Excellent drafting and reporting skills is a requirement;
• Experience contributing to the development and/or management of EU-funded projects is a requirement;
• Previous work experience with national, regional or international public bodies would be an advantage;
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
• Leadership and Negotiation – convinces others to share resources; presents goals as shared interests
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11th September, 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
To download Personal History Form please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 25.08.2016 to 11.09.2016