Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||:||Finance Assistant|
|Duty Station||:||Zagreb, Croatia|
|Classification||:||General Service Staff, Grade Equivalent G4|
|Type of Appointment||:||Special Short Term – Grade Equivalent
until 31 December 2017, with possibility of extension
|Estimated Start Date||:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date||:|| 25 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the supervision of the Head of Office (HoO) in Zagreb, the incumbent will perform the duties of Finance Assistant and shall provide general financial accounting, reporting and administrative support to IOM Zagreb Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Help ensure that IOM financial regulations are correctly applied on all financial transactions and that the mission’s financial transactions are entered into the IOM accounting system PRISM;
- Maintains financial records and monitor systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments and other data for day-to-day transactions;
- Assist in close monitoring, on a regular basis, of budget versus actual financial data in relation to the implementation of the Mission’s operational local activities, as assigned;
- Ensure proper and systematic filing of all validated vouchers and other accounting documents according to established standards;
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports for the Mission’s projects according to donor relevant requirements, in coordination with involved field missions as applicable. Ensure proper reconciliation of financial report to PRISM, as assigned.
- Provide assistance to the Head of Office in the coordination with MAC, to ensure the accurate preparation of accounts as per PRISM and Accounting instructions;
- Assist in preparing invoices and/or payment requests to donors as required;
- Assist in preparing financial supporting documentation for submission to the donors, auditors upon request;
- Assist the Head of Office in replying to queries concerning accounting and project reports;
- Calculate the travel advances/settlement of TAs and travel expenses in harmony of the latest travel regulations;
- Assist in the preparation of VAT reclaims and other regular administrative reports of the office.
- Maintains contacts with local banks and verifies accounts status, currency exchange and obtaining approval for payment clearance;
- Perform other related administrative and accounting duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Completion of secondary school and post-educational degree in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration or related discipline.
University degree in related fields or professional certification such as ACCA, would be a distinct advantage.
Minimum of 4 years of experience in accounting, financial reporting and budget tracking.
Knowledge of IOM regulations, policies and procedures a distinct asset.
Knowledge of SAP and IPSAS is required.
A high level of computer literacy – certification an asset.
Fluency in English and Croatian languages is required. Any other IOM language is an asset.
Accountability – Accepts and gives constructive criticism, follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies; meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs; monitors own work to correct errors; takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings. Client Orientation – Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients; identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors; governments, and project beneficiaries. Continuous Learning – Contributes to colleagues’ learning; demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills; demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas; keeps abreast of developments in own professional area. Communication – Actively shares relevant information; clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures; writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience; listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience. Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems. Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources; presents goals as shared interests. Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues; provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations; uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR Procedures; Technical – Effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline; Develops / follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement; Ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. A prerequisite of taking up the position is the right of residence and right to work in the country of the duty station at the time of application.
How to apply:
Interested candidates shall submit their applications, by sending CV and motivation letter in English, at ZagHumanResources@iom.int by 25.3.2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 10.03.2017 to 25.03.2017