The Office of the Secretary General (OSG) provides general services to the Secretary General (SG), the Chairperson-in-Office and the participating States. It groups service-oriented offices (Legal Services, Conference and Language Services, the Prague Office and Central Records Management), and policy-oriented offices (Communication and Media Relations, External Co-operation, Gender Affairs) as well as Security Management and Executive Management. The OSG also ensures effective co-ordination of policy advice provided to the Secretary General and the Chairmanship, and management decisions taken by the Secretary General. The OSG is led by a Director who also functions as the Head of the Executive Management Section.
Conference and Language Services, as part of the OSG, provides professional support to the decision-making bodies of the OSCE and the respective delegations on matters dealing with the organization of meetings, including interpretation and translation, documents control, editing and word processing services. The Meetings Assistance Unit (MAU), as part of Conference and Language Services, advises the Chairmanship in relation to procedural aspects of the preparation, conduct and follow-up to meetings of the OSCE decision-making and informal bodies, other OSCE meetings/conferences, and the meetings of the Joint Consultative Group (JCG) and the Open Skies Consultative Commission (OSCC); it assists in the preparation of the draft agendas and journals of meetings of the decision-making bodies, as well as summaries of some meetings. The MAU is also the focal point for the distribution of draft decisions and adopted documents and co-ordinates the formatting and editing of texts.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head, Conference Services and the direct supervision of the Conference Officer, the Senior Meetings Assistant will be responsible for:
- Taking minutes at and writing summaries of meetings for distribution among participating States for internal distribution within the Secretariat, Institutions and missions;
- Assisting chairpersons of OSCE decision-making and informal bodies, as well as OSCE conferences and meetings, with keeping the list of speakers during sessions;
- Making suggestions to chairpersons concerning procedural/protocol announcements, changes in the order of statements, optimal duration of interventions, correct titles of speakers, and availability of interpretation;
- Compiling, drafting, reviewing, editing and finalizing documents such as draft agendas, journals, draft decisions, statements and other documents of decision-making bodies of the OSCE, its informal subsidiary bodies and the meetings of the JCG and OSCC;
- Basic formatting of draft agendas, journals, draft decisions, statements and other documents of various decision-making and informal bodies;
- Reviewing the final version of documents for overall completeness and compliance, verifying uniformity of format/layout, etc.;
- Advising chairpersons and delegates on OSCE Rules of Procedure as well as on OSCE working methods and precedents;
- Maintaining a documentation log of decisions, journals, agendas and other documents and the computerized reference list of OSCE documents;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deduction, is EUR 4,191 (12 times a year). OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria. Social benefits will include possibility of participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Location: Vienna, Austria
Application deadline: 19-05-2015