Under the supervision of the Head of the Political, Trade, Press and Information Section and according to instructions from European Commission Headquarters in Brussels:
- To monitor, analyse and report on Bangladesh Trade, Economic and Macroeconomic policies
- To build institutional relations and policy dialogue with Bangladesh relevant Ministries and other relevant institutions and stakeholders.
- To state, explain and defend EU policies and positions on trade and investment and on other economic issues.
- To contribute and provide support to other EU delegation section activities and Member States on Trade and Economic matters.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
The exact sector portfolio will be determined according to the experience and background of the successful applicant.
- The candidate will be responsible for close contacts with EU companies and business organisations, as well as liaising with Bangladeshi business community.
- The candidate will promote and communicate on EU Trade, investment and sector specific policies
- The candidate will advise the Delegation and report to HQ on Trade and economic activities, including macroeconomic policy.
- The candidate will assist in the organisation of both high level and technical visits, meetings.
- The candidate will liaise with local authorities to build policy dialogue on Trade and Economic cooperation.
- The candidate will follow-up on the implementation of the Sustainability Compact initiative
What they do:
The Political, Trade and Information Section in the Delegation assists EU Member States as well as EU-based companies on market access related issues. It conduct analysis on the business climate, Trade Policy and various sectors while promoting EU Trade interest towards Bangladesh.
What they want from you?
- Public/private focused and experienced in dealing with people at all levels
- An understanding of the foreign investment and wider economic/business climate in Bangladesh, particularly regulatory issues and their implications for industry
- An appreciation for WTO (Goods, Services, TRIPS, TRIMS, Procurement) EU Trade and other sector Policies (training will be provided)
- Understanding of the major industrial sectors driving Bangladesh’s economic growth
- Strong analytical skills with experience of market research, industrial analysis and report writing.
- A good understanding of international business practices, marketing and growth strategies and financing, and the drivers for international trade and investment.
- Marketing and presentation skills to project the value proposition i.e. the benefits of working with EU companies to secure high quality positioning of EU industry and high value business leads
- Ability to work with contacts and colleagues at all levels, both within the Delegation, with EU Member States, HQ and Government Officials
- Personal drive and the ability to be a self-starter as well as a team player
- Flexible, resilient under pressure and decisive with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within set deadlines
- The successful candidate will be required to travel occasionally within the country or internationally as and when needed
- S/he will also be required to be flexible and work out-of-hours, as necessary
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
No subordinate staff; operational expenditure
Key competences required for the job:
Competence 1: Leading and Communicating Competence 2: Delivering at pace
Competence 3: Making Effective Decisions Competence 4: Collaborating and Partnering
- Good knowledge of WTO, EU Trade Policy and Institutions
- Suitable candidate will have excellent communication skills in both English and Bangla
- Sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills
- Good understanding of Microsoft Excel and the use of databases for trade and macroeconomic.analysis
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver high-quality work to set deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact effectively with business representatives, government officials and colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds and organizations
- Ability to take wider perspective within and outside the Delegation.
- Be a self-starter and be able to work on his/her own initiative and take responsibility for decisions
Language: English & Bangla
Level of language required: excellent communication skills in both English and Bangla
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- A post graduate degree from a recognised university or Business school (European is advantage).
- Preference will be given on candidates having, a Trade and Economic background or MBA and a very good knowledge of EU Trade Policy and Institutions.
- Minimum 3 years recent experience in an international organisation, commercial or business environment.
- Experience in EU
Learning and development opportunities:
Relevant training would be provided on the job.
If the job is suitable for flexible working patterns, please provide details: 7 hours 30 (minimum 30 mins lunch break) Sunday to Thursday
Any other information (or specific local Post requirements):
For EU candidates, the EU Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than EU candidates, Gross Salary range will be BDT. 173,916 – BDT. 356,210 per month; paid 13 Months.
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Application deadline: 11 November 2015