The Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations will have an opening for a temporary position as Secretary/Assistant to the Political Section, starting April 7th until September 17th, 2015.
Duties: The Secretary/Assistant to the Political Team will provide assistance to the Political, Peacekeeping, Peacebuilding and Disarmament Counselors, notably for:
– all relations with the UN, the UN Security Council secretariat, the General Assembly and national missions regarding administrative/organisational matters;
– the preparation & organization of dossiers and programmes for high-level visitors and Commissioners, notably in the framework of the programme for the Ministerial Week and the Opening of the General Assembly, including contacts with other missions and UN HQ, scheduling of meetings and troikas and logistics;
– the preparation of speaking requests and statements for debates/meetings in the UN Security Council and General Assembly;
– the checking, formatting and transmission to HQ, archiving of Delegation reports in the areas covered by the Counselors;
– the management of the Counsellors’ schedules, correspondence, appointments, mailing lists, filing systems and general secretarial and office requirements.
Main responsibilities as Agora manager and helpdesk:
– the distribution of documents via the Agora system (online communication tool with EU Member States);
– the management of the Agora system in New York, including account creation and helpdesk for EU Delegation and member states missions;
– the training of all Delegation colleagues (staff and interns);
– being the liaison point with the responsible person in Brussels
– A post-secondary education diploma, or a secondary education diploma giving access to higher education plus 3 years appropriate professional experience;
– Thorough knowledge of English, both written and oral. Good knowledge of French is an advantage;
– Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook);
– High level of responsibility and ability to take initiative;
– High level of organization and prioritisation; ability to work under pressure;
– Flexibility in working hours and ability to work long hours as required;
– Excellent team spirit;
– High level of discretion.
The position is an important part of a team in a busy, dynamic and demanding office environment.
Deadline for all applications is: Friday, February 13th, 2015 at 12:00 noon.