1. Background and Project objectives
The technical assistance project to support the strengthening of the capacities for the implementation of the Public Financial Management strategy (PFM) Albania was designed to support the implementation of the public finance management reform strategy for 2014-20 alongside the EU-funded PFM Sector Reform Contract . The project will be implemented from 18 April 2017 to 17 April 2020.
The overall objective of the Project is to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Finance and other stakeholders to implement the public finance reform strategy, strengthened transparency and accountability processes through enhanced dialogue and availability of information through Parliament, High State Control and strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Finance for the better coordination and management of the reform process.
The purpose of the Technical Assistance is to strengthen the capacities of the Ministry of Finance to run an effective mechanism for the management of the reform process to coordinate the implementation of the PFM strategy, monitor and report on results via the PFM Steering Committee and its Secretariat.
It will also provide assessment, policy advice, capacity building etc. to the Ministry of Finance and other stakeholders involved in relation to the implementation of the reforms process.
The assistance will also strengthen the capacities of and cooperation with other stakeholders such as relevant governmental counterparts, state audit office, Parliament as well as consultation with development partners, think tanks and civil society organisations to contribute to overseeing the reform implementation.
The project delivers assistance split into the following six components:
1. Improved capacity of the MoF to participate effectively in the formulation and coordination of the implementation of the EU funded sector budget support/sector reform contract programmes;
2. Improved capacity of the MoF and other relevant public institutions to effectively coordinate and implement the public finance management reform strategy as well as to effectively coordinate and interlink PFM reforms with other ongoing reform implementations;
3. Improved annual and medium-term budget planning (MTBP) to enhance the credibility and comprehensiveness of the medium term budget and to better align strategic planning and budgeting through gap analysis, design of policy advice and implementation and capacity building;
4. Improved budget transparency and increased comprehensiveness of the publicly available information increased public participation and public consultation and understanding of the funds implementation through the national budget;
5. Improved implementation of the public internal financial control (PIFC) in budget institutions with a special focus on the strengthening of the Financial Management Control (FMC) system and enhanced capacity of the Government to implement the recommendations of the external audit including those on the arrears clearance process;
6. Enhanced communication and understanding of the PFM reforms, its importance and value added – including the EU’s support attached to it including enhanced awareness raising of the public.
2. Key responsibilities
Assist the team leader (TL) and Experts with the project research and analysis, including:
• Undertake desk based research and analyses into PFM related information, data and business processes;
• Coordinate research and information requests, follow-up, compile data and information;
• Conduct in-depth qualitative and quantitative analyses including financial data;
• Produce draft analytical reports, documents and presentations (including draft; conclusions and recommendations) in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Visio;
• Review and summarise complex reports into more simple, non- technical documents; and
• Perform all other duties assigned.
3. General requirements
• Maintain a high level of ethical behaviour and to act in a non-discriminatory manner at all times;
• Respect, actively support and, where appropriate, contribute to the overall aims and objectives of the Project;
• Follow the Project policy documents and guidelines on: behaviour, appearance, health, safety, security, payment regimes, and use of Project equipment etc.; and
• Maintain confidentiality in all matters relating to the realisation and management of the Project.
4. Professional qualifications, language skills and work experience
• Relevant University degree (e.g. finance, public administration, economics or business) and 5 years of relevant work experience;
• Excellent command of written, oral, drafting and presentation skills in Albanian and English languages;
• Excellent Albanian and English;
• Strong numerical, analytical and critical thinking skills;
• Full computer literacy (e.g. advanced Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, Internet);
• Ability to interpret data, perform financial analysis and develop basic financial models
• Well-founded inter-personal skills – especially for interaction with national and international experts;
• Proven organisational, administrative and management skills with the ability to identify priorities, apply initiative in a timely manner;
• Maturity of judgment and a problem-solving approach with the ability to work alone or with minimal supervision;
• Record of reliability and adaptability under pressure;
• Experience in a similar position in an EU-financed project or other international project will be an asset;
• High level of flexibility; and
• Team player.
5. Location and Duration
Duration: 28 months (approximate start date: December 2017) until end of March 2020
Place of Employment: Tirana – Albania
Languages requested: Albanian, English
Gross monthly salary: up to € 1000/month (gross and all inclusive), for a full time job, subject to skills and experience
6. Administrative issues
The Project is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV (Europass format) and a cover letter in English by 20 November 2017 via e-mail (please quote “384-002 Research Analyst”) to the following address:
Only short-listed candidates will receive an answer and be invited for an interview and test in November 2017.
The best candidates will be proposed to the Delegation of the European Union to Albania, which will formally approve the best candidate. The selection procedure shall be based on professional background, relevant work experience and language skills, according to the requested qualifications.
Employer’s Certificates/References, diploma/s/certificates must be available upon request. The selected Research Analyst will sign a Statement of Availability.
All submitted documents will be considered strictly confidential.
Civil servants or other staff of the public administration of the partner country, or of international/regional organisations based in the country, regardless of their administrative situation, shall only be accepted by the European Commission if well justified.
Application deadline: 20 November 2017