Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Project Assistant
Duty Station: Country Office for Belgium and Luxembourg, Brussels (Belgium)
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G3
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 17 December 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Within the AVRR Luxembourg project:
- Assist in providing general counselling to potential candidates in Luxembourg on existing voluntary return projects and, when applicable, on available reintegration opportunities in the countries of origin of the candidates;
- Assist IOM migrants with the check in at the airport of Luxembourg, at the border control, customs and security check and guide them to the boarding gate;
- Pay reinstallation grants in the framework of the programme possibilities to migrants whenever necessary and as instructed;
- Prepare and encode candidates’ files in the appropriate database;
- Assist in providing information to IOM partners network in Luxembourg to promote the voluntary return;
- Informing relevant services at IOM Headquarters and other IOM Missions on departures;
- Assist in compiling invoices for payment by the Administration & Finance Service ;
- Assist in coordinating the re-integration assistance with IOM Missions in countries of origin;
- Contribute to the development of promotional/information materials on the return and reintegration activities to be disseminated amongst partners and potential beneficiaries;
- Assist in delivering information sessions to stakeholders likely to be in touch with potential AVRR candidates, including but not limited to, social services, reception centers, hospitals and governmental counterparts.
- Provide overall assistance with research, reporting, liaison with counterparts and operational and administrative support to the Resettlement/ Relocation Project, the Fostering Across Borders (FAB) project and the Family Assessment Project.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with one year of relevant professional experience;
Completed High School degree with three years of relevant professional experience
- A first professional experience
- Confirmed interest in refugee and migration related issues;
- Good IT skills in relation to database management and Ms Office Package;
- Good analytical skills for financial data, strong sense of details and accuracy;
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely in English and French;
- Excellent communication skills in English and French;
- Experience in working in an international environment is an asset.
Fluency in English and French is required. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning;
- Writes and communicates clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience;
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services and proactively develops new ways to resolve problems;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts;
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to toIOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int by 17 December 2017 midnight at the latest, referring to this advertisement. To download Personal History Form please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 28.11.2017 until 17.12.2017