The Press and Information Officer will help to raise the visibility and the transparency of the operations of the European Union and its Delegation in Jamaica (which also covers Belize, The Bahamas, Turks & Caicos Islands and Cayman Islands); through key areas of focus being TV and radio, print and social media, public events.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- To assist in establishing and maintaining contacts with the media and civil society (including the business community).
- To prepare and distribute press releases, features, public statements and other material on EU affairs.
- To organize media and public events (press briefings, press conferences, press and TV interviews, information seminars, prepare speeches).
- Provide overall visibility coordination for EU-supported development and economic cooperation programmes and projects.
- To monitor media in the Delegation’s area of responsibility and oversee preparation of a weekly selection of articles and media reports.
- To oversee the development of the Delegation’s websites and update all social media platforms based on a regular input from the various sections of the Delegation and EU institutions.
- To deliver training for Delegation staff on various communication related matters.
- To plan and organize EU public events such as public lectures by high-level visitors from the EU, in coordination with EU Member State missions and local partners.
- To organize lectures, conferences, training and other events targeting communication stakeholders and multipliers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree – preferably in communications, journalism or related subject.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in the field of press, information and communication. Weight will be given to those with Jamaican and the regional experience in media and public relations environment.
- Good understanding of the European Union, in particular its external policies.
- Ability to work in a team, to maintain excellent relations with officers in the different divisions of the Delegation and to deliver results under time pressure.
- Ability to function in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to write concisely and clearly in English. Knowledge of other official EU languages would be an advantage.
- Very good knowledge of PC usage and applications related to press and information, MS office suite, internet etc.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 5 pm (Jamaican time) on Monday, November 30, 2015