Justice and Reconciliation Project (JRP) is a non-profit organisation with a country wide mandate and with its office based in Gulu. JRP works to support local level transitional justice processes through seeking to understand and explain the interests, needs, concerns and views of the communities affected by various conflicts in Uganda. Their work focuses on the active involvement of communities in documentation, research and advocacy on local level transitional justice issues as a means of giving a voice to the affected communities.
JRP seeks to recruit vibrant individuals to join a team of over 30 employees currently based in Gulu, Uganda to fill the following position:
The Head of Office will serve as JRP’s Chief Executive Officer and the ideal candidate should have wide ranging transitional justice expertise as well as field work experience in areas of justice, and human rights. The candidate must have strong leadership and management experience to lead the organisation to effectively deliver on its mandate of empowering conflict-affected communities to participate in processes of justice, healing and reconciliation. The position will report to the JRP Board of Directors through the Board Chairperson.
- Manage all aspects of JRP’s program , including office administration, human resources, budget management, financial reporting, donor and donor relations and supervising all aspects of JRP’s substantive programing.
- Monitor and track transitional justice related developments and processes and work closely with local and international human rights focused networks and responsive to political developments while strengthening local initiatives.
- Provide in-depth knowledge , analysis, policy advice and capacity building to relevant actors on transitional justice issues.
- Exercise control of the revenue and expenditures of JRP as approved by the Board.
- Responsible for the development and promotion of the organization including the political responsibilities and networking for resource mobilization as delegated by the Board.
- In charge of overseeing and ensuring the preparation of the annual audit report of JRP and that they are submitted to the Board, our partners and donors.
- In charge of preparation of JRP’s annual report to the Board, our partners and donors on the work of JRP.
- The Head of Office has the delegated responsibility to recruit, orient, develop and retain all staff of JRP. The incumbent shall determine terms and conditions of services of staff, subject to the approval of the Board.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of six (6) years of management with at least four (4) years at a senior management level in the non-profit sector or in an academic, regional, international or multi-lateral organization.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of law, political science, peace and conflict studies, international affairs, transitional justice, human rights, management, Social Sciences or relevant field experience is strongly desirable. However exceptional work experience on the same fields shall be given special considerations.
- Must have experience in program administration, design management, fundraising, leading a team of administrative, professional, support staff and working closely with civil society partners and government initiatives on transitional justice, peace and human rights.
- High professionalism and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with an understanding of and familiarity working in close partnerships with regional civil society networks.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in project management
- Strong record of successful Resource Mobilization
- Demonstrated experience in research and policy advocacy, project initiation, monitoring and evaluation is critical.
The Head of Office will also have:
- Good knowledge and understanding of Uganda’s conflict and transitional justice situation. A demonstrated knowledge of global justice and accountability trends.
- Demonstrated understanding of non-governmental, inter-governmental, regional and relevant international institutions and systems
- Extensive knowledge of current management trends and best practices, including change management, staff development and leadership development
- Excellent knowledge of Strategic Planning
- Excellent knowledge of program management and evaluation, project management including project planning and development, program budgeting and Results Based Management
- Demonstrated evidence of creative thinking and visionary leadership in the field of post conflict situations.
- Excellent oral and written command of the English language.
- A capacity for independent thought and action and the ability to render professional advice
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills and a strong analytical/problem solving and interpersonal skill.
- Successful track record of team management and leadership
- Knowledge and effective use of computerized systems
- Appreciation of the workplace diversity in Uganda.
A very competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered and is negotiable based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
All suitably qualified employees of JRP and citizens of good standing in any country, preferably Ugandans are invited to apply to the above positions. Your application should include the position you are applying for. For instance “M&E Assistant – [Your name]“.Curriculum Vitae with full details of experience, achievements, qualifications and the names and contact details of three references should be addressed to The Chairman Board of Directors. Please send an email to email@example.com. No hard copy submissions will be accepted.
JRP an equal opportunity employer and shall not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, colour, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.
Location: Gulu, Uganda
Deadline: All applications should be submitted by 30th August 2015. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification of one’s application.