UN Women covers 22 countries in Eastern and Southern Africa Region (ESAR), however, UN Women has country offices in only 13 countries namely: Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, South Africa (Multi Country Office), South Sudan, Sudan Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe. The Multi Country Office covers Southern Africa Customs Union (SACU) countries namely: Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland. The Office in Ethiopia is both a Country Office for Ethiopia and a Liaison Office to African Union and Economic Commission for Africa. The Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO) in Nairobi provides oversight to all the ESAR countries.
The country offices have programmatic responsibilities in their respective countries. The country offices develop Strategic Notes (similar to country programmes for other agencies) which articulate UN Women’s programmatic and management results to support national priorities on gender. The Strategic Notes are aligned with UNDAF both in terms of results and periodicity. The UN Women Country Offices are also responsible for partnership with a wide range of partners including various Government ministries and departments, Non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, donors, development partners, academia, and others.
The work across the Eastern and Southern Africa Region portfolio may be summarised as follows:
- Strengthening the adoption, implementation and monitoring of legal frameworks, political party platforms and election bodies in support of women’s increased participation in decision making at the national and local level, including ensuring increase in women as voters;
- Promotion of economic empowerment and security of excluded women, including women home-based workers, Migrant Women Workers, domestic workers, rural women, and women market vendors;
- Legislative reforms including monitoring, to combat VAW and girls at the national and provincial level; and Support to implementation of legal frameworks, including support to the global Critical Services Initiative; Safe Cities programme; and direct support in the provision of services for women escaping violence;
- Women’s engagement in DRR, peace, mediation, and reconstructions efforts; and strengthening access to and gender responsiveness of relief, recovery and disaster risk management at national and provincial levels;
- Strengthen gender responsive budgeting and planning processes at all levels, including improved monitoring, including supporting the monitoring of the impact of policies on women and men; supporting implementation of the CEDAW; and
- Strengthening the adoption and implementation of global norms, policies and standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment through action by Governments and other stakeholders at all levels.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Knowledge Management Specialist of the UN Women ESARO, the consultant will develop a tracking system for ESARO knowledge products usage. The consultant shall propose ways of implementing the system and availing it to the general publics who use UN Women knowledge products at ESARO. This shall be linked to country offices as well with the help of a Knowledge Management and Research Specialist based at ESARO.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The consultant shall develop a system for tracking usage of ESARO knowledge products to be accessible online to various publics;
- The consultant will finalize and improve the system based on feedback from the knowledge management unit;
- Where applicable, the text will adhere to UN Women branding standards for language and presentation;
- The consultant will test and pretest the system and assure its workability;
- Conduct a survey targeting diverse audiences with support from the KMR specialist and report on the status of usage of knowledge products by UN Women ESARO;
- Participate and if necessary facilitate a UN Women ESARO meeting to validate the findings of the survey which shall target diverse publics of UN Women in ESARO;
- Make a PowerPoint presentation of the survey results and share a finalized report based on feedback by UN Women.
Key outputs for the consultancy are:
- System of tracking knowledge products availed and produced by UNW omen ESARO;
- Survey report on usage of knowledge products by diverse audiences in UN Women;
- A power point presentation summarizing the report.
Location: Nairobi, KENYA
Application deadline: 25-Apr-16 (Midnight New York, USA)