OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
|Duty Station:||Regional Office in Brussels, Belgium|
|Position title:||Liaison and Policy Assistant|
|Organizational Unit:||Policy and Programming Support Unit (PPSU)|
|Type of Appointment:||One Year Fixed Term contract (with a possibility of extension)|
|Estimated Starting Date:||ASAP|
|Reference Code:||VN 2015-28|
This role responds to the proliferation of multilateral initiatives, policy processes, coordination mechanisms and other partnerships in the realm of migration, including but not limited to those in the EU and UN systems.
Under the direct supervision of the Communication-Media and Policy Support Officer (CPSO), the Liaison and Policy Assistant will be involved, inter-alia, in supporting the development of positions and strategic partnerships with a range of actors and processes. S/he will contribute to the preparation of and provide inputs to major international and regional events organized and/or supported by the IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Research, collect and analyse relevant information on priority policy and emerging issues within the field of migration and assist in policy formulation related to these issues;
- Assist responding to information requests and inquiries; processes, drafts and finalizes correspondence and other communications, including briefings/talking points; sets up and maintains files/records;
- Compiles draft regional reports;
- Provide support to the CPSO to research, compile, and summarize materials on EU migration policy-related issues, including Council, European Parliament conclusions;
- Support IOM’s participation and policy inputs to EU and/or State-led and international or regional processes as well as inter-agency cooperation (including the IOM/UN Migration Working Group) where migration issues are relevant;
- Assist the CPSO in formulating guidance to Regional and EEA Country Offices, especially Regional Liaison and Policy Officers, to ensure systematic dissemination and exchange of information on EU policy issues and institutional positions;
- As/when required, provide assistance to the Head of Unit on all administrative matters.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the CPSO and the Head of Unit. .
- a) Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and stakeholders; c) Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning; d) Writes and communicates clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience; e) Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services and proactively develops new ways to resolve problems; f) Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; g) Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts; h) Contributes to, and follows team objectives; i) Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; j) Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; k) Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context;
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Political or Social Science, International Studies or another related field ;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in an international environment;
- Excellent knowledge of EU institutions and EU migration policies is a requirement;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge on migration issues is a must;
- Experience in liaison with national, regional and international institutions is an asset;
- Excellent writing, drafting, editing and reporting skills is a requirement ;
- Very good organisational skills including experience with the organization of large events is a requirement.
Fluency in oral and written English and French is required
- Post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Method of Application:
Applications (Personal History Form or CV and motivation/cover letter) should be addressed to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int quoting the above vacancy notice number.
Closing date: 5th January 2016
Extended deadline! The new deadline is 15 January 2016.