The European Investment Bank (EIB), the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Operations Directorate (Operations) – Mandate Management Department (MM), at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
(Junior) Mandate Officer
This is a preliminary campaign in anticipation of a future vacancy
The term of this contract will be 4 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs,
with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The remit of the recently created Mandate Management Department includes the facilitation of consistency in mandate development, and life-cycle management processes, for both new and existing mandates, and the provision of high value added to operational Departments, Senior Management and to other Directorates implicated by expected growth in mandate activity, notably via enhanced support with respect to governance issues. Initially, this also comprises the proposal and development of appropriate tools, methodologies, policies and procedures, covering the mandate lifecycle, thereby promoting a collaborative and constructive approach and developing synergies across mandates.
The (Junior) Mandate Officer will primarily fulfil horizontal aspects related to European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) implementation, as well their integration in a coherent mandate management framework, which will be developed along consistent lines with other similar mandates/initiatives and cover all stages of the mandate lifecycle. He/she will act as an Operations-interface for mandate related strategy/policy tasks. He/she will also provide support to loan officers for EFSI-specific tasks such as the Investment Committee decision process and deal allocation.
The selected candidate will report to the Head of Division until potentially an EFSI Coordination Unit is established, at which point, he/she will report to a Head of Unit. He/she will work in close co-operation with the other members of the Department, in particular with colleagues providing expertise on EFSI policy, colleagues dealing with EFSI monitoring and reporting and colleagues carrying out similar tasks for other risk-sharing mandates. He/she will regularly cooperate with other Operations staff, in particular with those in the other horizontal Departments, such as Operations Support (OSD), as well as with colleagues across Operations, and in other Directorates, working on mandate/partnership related activities. He/she will also be involved mandate management related discussions with the European Commission and EFSI governing bodies.
- Contribute to the delivery of tasks originating from the EFSI governance bodies (Steering Board, Investment Committee, Managing Director and Deputy MD), in close cooperation with the EFSI Secretariat, and coordination with other Departments in the Operations Directorate
- Contribute and coordinate Operations’ inputs to EFSI/Mandate policy-related issues, including during internal and external reviews / evaluation and external audits
- Support operational Divisions on EFSI/Mandate specific processes and templates (for example the Investment Committee decision process), acting as an internal facilitator, with a proactive problem-solving approach
- Contribute to the creation of an EFSI/Mandate procedures manual and associated templates, and their adoption in the Operations Procedures Manual
- Implement actions to ensure delivery on Mandate obligations and targets, based on review of EFSI pipeline and KPI / KMI performance
- Deliver a market awareness raising and visibility campaign, with inputs from operational Divisions and in cooperation with the Communication Department
- Prepare recommendations for deal allocation to a specific risk-sharing mandate, based on portfolio monitoring data and in coordination with other mandate officers
- Cooperate cross-functionally with the Mandate Officers in the Division and corresponding monitoring and reporting officers in the Department, ensuring consistency across Mandates.
- Participate in internal and external working groups
- Contribute to internal and external awareness raising activities
- Support in the development of mandate related IT solutions
- Collaborate in the development of a mandate specific vision, new product developments as well as technical modifications to enable innovation and maintain the mandate as fit for purpose
- Deal with mandate specific day-to-day requests from internal and external stakeholders
- University degree, ideally in Finance/Economics or any related subject
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience, preferably gained in a financial institution or international organisation
- Strong experience in lending operations, ideally with experience in a similar mandate management / coordination function
- Familiarity with the institutional and regulatory / policy framework of relevant Mandates would be an advantage
- Excellent understanding of business policies and procedures, as well as operational strategy
- Good knowledge of the standard computer tools
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and a good command of French. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset
Deadline for applications: 14th September 2015