Oxfam International was formed in 1995 by a group of independent non-governmental organizations. Their aim is to work together for greater impact on the international stage to reduce poverty and injustice. Oxfam International implements long-term development programs in vulnerable communities. They are also part of a global movement, campaigning with others, for instance, to end unfair trade rules, demand better health and education services for all, and to combat climate change. Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. They save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And they make campaigns so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. They work with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
EU Advocacy Office in Brussels is looking for a EU Media and Communications Intern to help promote policy issues ranging from climate change to income inequality and humanitarian assistance through creative and strategic media and communications work.
The internship period lasts 7 months with a possible extension of 3 months.
- Help design and implement Oxfam’s EU media and communications strategy;
- Draft, edit and proofread media products such as press releases and opinion pieces as well as internal newsletters;
- Support social media engagement and help manage current social media tools;
- Conduct daily media monitoring and analysis;
- Help organize media briefings, advocacy events and media stunts;
- Make follow-up calls to journalists to sell-in events or stories;
- Keep Oxfam’s EU website up-to-date;
- Keep media contacts and distribution lists up-to-date.
- Educational background in communications / journalism with an interest in international politics and development; or educational background in international politics and development with an interest in communications / journalism;
- Excellent verbal and written command of English. Good knowledge of French is an asset;
- Multimedia and website management skills are highly desirable and strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher) is a must. Good command of Photoshop is an asset;
- Experience engaging with social media and monitoring;
- Basic knowledge of EU decision-making politics and processes;
- Effective team player with the ability to work and think both collaboratively independently, and to be resourceful and proactive;
- Candidates must have the legal right to work in Belgium.
Interns will receive EUR 781 per month during the period of their internship and EUR 30 for monthly transport expenses.
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Application deadline: 14 July 2015