The International Association of Professionals in Humanitarian Assistance and Protection (PHAP) is recruiting a full-time Consultation Events Associate as a staff position to start in February 2015 at its office in Geneva, Switzerland. The position is funded through December 2015 and may be extended if additional funding is secured. As part of a small and dynamic professional team, the Consultation Events Associate will be primarily focused on PHAP’s contributions to the World Humanitarian Summit consultation process, with a particular focus on the preparation, implementation, and integration of live online consultation events as a contribution to the overall consultation process leading up to the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul in May 2016.
About PHAP and its consultation efforts
The International Association of Professionals in Humanitarian Assistance and Protection (PHAP) is the world’s only member-governed, sector-wide association of professionals engaged in humanitarian assistance and protection. Its global member network encompasses the full spectrum of institutional affiliations and professional backgrounds in the humanitarian sector. Established in mid-2010, PHAP’s mission is to enhance the humanitarian sector’s ability to respond in a professional manner to current and future crises. To this end, it pursues the following strategic objectives: build capacity of professionals to assist and protect crisis-affected people; distill professional knowledge and disseminate good practices for humanitarian action; create a space for reflection and exchange on policy issues within the humanitarian sector; cultivate networks and provide services to further the professional development of its members.
Since early 2014, PHAP has been contributing to the World Humanitarian Summit process in a number of ways, primarily through the organization of live online consultation events, gathering input from individual humanitarian practitioners and other stakeholders. To date, more than 1,000 individuals have participated in PHAP’s live online Summit consultation events, most being active practitioners in various humanitarian field contexts.
- Starting date: February 2015
- Full-time schedule of five days (40 hours) per week
- Regular employment contract for an indefinite period (expected to extend at least through December 2015)
- Compensation: Gross salary in the range of CHF 4,800 – 5,300 per month depending on experience
– Contribute significantly to the coordination, preparation, implementation, and integration of PHAP’s contributions to the World Humanitarian Summit (WHS) process, with a particular focus on the continuation of PHAP’s series of live online consultation events (for a recent example, see phap.org/8Jan2015):
- Coordination with the WHS Secretariat, WHS Regional Steering Committees, and WHS Thematic Teams
- Coordination with other partners
- Topic development and event design
- Guest speaker/ panelist identification, invitations, and coordination
- Producing event reports
- Participant engagement and question/ comment/ polling coordination during events
- Preparation of event descriptions and other public communication material (news stories, etc.)
- Preparation of individual communication material (pre- and post-event email messages)
- Overseeing integration of online event outcomes into other tracks in the overall Summit consultation process
- Other event follow-up
– Contribute to the development of additional complementary partnerships and work streams
– Other related tasks and projects as assigned by the Executive Director
- Swiss or eligible EU citizen, or with a valid work permit for Switzerland.
- Excellent English language skills, including both written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional-level fluency in one or more other languages (particularly Spanish, Arabic, French) is an advantage.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the field of humanitarian affairs, with a strong understanding, in particular, of current practical, professional, and policy challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to draft clear and concise texts for both public/external and individual/internal communication (writing sample welcome but not required).
- Experience of event organization, in particular developing event programs and descriptions; identifying, inviting, and preparing speakers; communicating with participants; and preparing event outcome reports.
- Experience of coordinating complex processes or projects with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of building and maintaining collaborative relationships and partnerships across different types of organizations.
- Strong IT skills (Word, Excel, databases) together with a demonstrated aptitude and enthusiasm for learning how to use new IT tools and systems.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS is an advantage.
- Experience of online meeting and webinar tools is an advantage.
- Prior experience working with content management systems (in particular Drupal) and contact relationship management databases is an advantage.
- Prior experience with an individual-based membership organization/ professional association is an advantage.
- Strong organizational skills, resourcefulness, flexibility, and ability to efficiently handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently, with attention to detail.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
Application deadline: Sunday, 1 February 2015, 12:00 midnight CET