Fauna & Flora International, Inc. (FFI, Inc.), headquartered in Washington, DC, was formed in the United States in 1981 as a non-profit organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, for “charitable, scientific and educational purposes, including the conservation and sustainable management of biodiversity throughout the world and in particular as it supports the international program of work of Fauna & Flora International, a registered non-profit charitable organization founded in 1903 in the United Kingdom sharing the same conservation mission.”
The Communications Officer is a new and exciting full-time position who will implement a recently-completed communications plan that seeks to engage US audiences. S/he will manage US communications and marketing activities, and create print and digital communications products geared to increasing visibility for, and attracting revenue to, the organization. This is a position for a well-rounded, adaptable and strategic communications professional. This full-time position will be based in the Washington, DC office, will report initially to the Executive Director and will work collaboratively with the US team and with a talented, dynamic and lean communications team in the FFI UK Cambridge office.
The Communications Officer will enjoy the following key responsibilities:
- Content Development and Curation: Write and edit content on US priority programs for an external US audience.
- Material Development: Develop and keep up-to-date communications materials including flagship program statements, fact sheets, posters, and newsletters.
- Social Media: Liaise with UK colleagues to maintain a content calendar, identifying opportunities to feature issues of interest/trending for US audiences to better engage with our community.
- Event Support: Support board and donor event planning and develop event products including invitations, banners, and slideshows.
- Media and Press Outreach: Create and leverage moments for visibility in the US, including building and maintaining the US media contacts in coordination with the UK.
- Photos: Curate and manage photos for the US office in coordination with the UK.
Website support: Support UK Communications Officers on website management as needed.
Duties and team responsibilities may be altered and reasonably added or delegated from time to time to reflect changes within the organization’s activities and structure.
This position requires the individual to work as part of an entrepreneurial, close-knit US team that is geared towards efficiency and service delivery to FFI teams and partners worldwide. This is an essential position, growing in-house communications capacity for the FFI US operation, and requires a high degree of creativity, organizational skill, flexibility and humour.
FFI, Inc. seeks a professional with the following required skills:
- Bachelor’s degree, two to four years working in communications and/or marketing.
- Strong demonstrated writing, proofreading and editing skills.
- Proven ability to distil and clearly communicate technical topics for a general audience.
- Demonstrated track record of engaging audiences on social media and an understanding of the cultural dimensions to this.
- A self-starter who is highly organized and able to keep track of many details and comfortable managing multiple tasks and projects with autonomy.
- High integrity and professionalism working across cultures, and ability to work as part of a small team locally while linking effectively across decentralized teams globally.
- Strong project management experience, including experience managing designers and/or contractors.
- Advanced computer proficiency and extensive experience using MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and use of templates in Adobe InDesign.
- A passion for communicating about the natural world.
Other desired skills include:
- Advanced experience using Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, etc.), HTML and photo & video editing experience.
- Experience creating email campaigns using MailChimp, Constant Contact, or other email service.
- Experience using CRM (Salesforce) to track campaigns and events.
- Experience building effective relationships with the media.
- Spanish-speaking (bilingual) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Washington, DC, US
Application deadline: 20 July 2015