Blue Ventures is a multi award winning social enterprise, comprising a charity and not-for-profit eco-tourism business, working to rebuild tropical fisheries. They are committed to making marine conservation work for coastal people, demonstrating powerful win wins for marine biodiversity and coastal livelihoods.
The work of Blue Ventures has reached over a quarter of a million people, and they are now committed to reaching three million coastal people by 2020.
Blue Ventures is seeking an experienced Finance Manager within their London team who can help them build effective Finance capabilities to support their ongoing growth.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for all aspects of Blue Ventures’ financial management and reporting. Working in a small charity, the role requires an individual capable of thinking strategically while being hands-on on a day to day basis.
Blue Ventures is looking for a candidate who has significant experience in accounting, management and financial reporting as well as someone who can lead on improving finance processes and systems.
The candidate will be contributing positively to dynamic multidisciplinary team, someone with a flexible and entrepreneurial ‘can do’ approach, who will fit well into a fast moving and demanding environment with an international dimension.
The Financial Manager will be part of a small team that is responsible for overseeing Blue Ventures’ Finance, Operations and Administrative functions, reporting to the Director of Finance and Resources.
- Take ownership of financial management and ensure financial processes and systems are fit-for-purpose
- Deliver timely and accurate financial and management accounting information for the organisation
- Work closely with the conservation teams on donor reporting
- Work closely with the finance and operations teams in Madagascar, Belize and Timor-Leste to maintain accurate financial records and adherence of internal controls
- Assist periodic project audit and annual statutory audit
- Take initiatives to continuously improve and develop effective finance capabilities
- Support and coach Blue Ventures’ field staff to better manage project financials
Management, Operations & Administration
- Help to co-ordinate, review and improve the administrative, operational and finance processes and systems in the UK, Madagascar, Belize and Timor-Leste
- Contribute to building the capacity of the team across Blue Ventures through training and support on developing and maintaining systems
- Support managers in understanding and following Blue Ventures policies and procedures, such as efficient and value for money procurement.
- Oversee the maintenance of assets at all sites, working with site managers
- Work with an external IT service provider to maintain office IT systems
- Be flexible to share office administrative work as required
- Minimum of three years of experience in a finance and accounting role
- Proven experience in all areas of financial management, budgeting & forecasting, consolidation, management & financial reporting, preparing annual accounts
- Operating experience of Quickbooks or equivalent accounting software
- Accounting qualification CIMA/ ACCA/ ACA or equivalent (part-qualified candidates with significant related work experience will be considered)
- Previous finance process improvement experience
- Can-do attitude and flexibility working in a small team
- Dynamic, enthusiastic, highly organised, hard-working and self-motivated
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work closely with field programme teams
- Excellent problem solving skills with an eye for continuous improvement of the organisation
- Advanced Excel skills
- No restrictions to work in the United Kingdom
- Previous international organisation/ NGO experience
- Charity accounting and reporting experience
- Undergraduate level qualification in relevant subject (e.g. accounting & finance, economics or marine or conservation science)
- Project management skills and qualification
- Systems implementation experience and skills
- Competency in French, Spanish and/or Portuguese
Start date: 1st September 2015
Location: London, UK
Application deadline: Friday 24th July 2015