Traineeship – Lithuanian Translator
Functional area: Communications
The Directorate General Communications of the European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking applications from recent graduates, or students who are close to completing their studies, to participate in a traineeship in the Language Services Division for a period of three months.
The Language Services Division is responsible for providing the ECB with linguistic expertise and support in the official languages of the European Union (EU).
The aim of the traineeship is to give the successful applicant the opportunity to gain experience in translation-related tasks.
While at the ECB, the trainee will be expected to contribute to the translation of texts from English into Lithuanian, the revision of texts in Lithuanian and the proof-reading of texts in Lithuanian destined for publication. The successful applicant will also be expected to identify, extract and compile terminology – in particular, in the financial and economic fields – and to align relevant previously translated texts, thereby expanding the Division’s existing Lithuanian translation memories. The trainee’s work will be revised by the staff translators of the Division’s Lithuanian unit.
Qualifications and experience:
The successful candidate must have the following knowledge and competencies:
- a master’s degree (or qualification of an equivalent level) in modern languages or translation, or be a student currently embarking upon their final year on such a course, or be a graduate who is pursuing (or has recently completed) postgraduate studies in translation;
- a mastery-level command of Lithuanian;
- an interest in financial and economic affairs would be an asset;
- familiarity with a terminology management package such as SDL MultiTerm, and with the suite of SDL translation tools, would be an asset;
- an advanced-level command of English with proven drafting ability;
- an intermediate-level command of at least one other official language of the EU;
- a working knowledge of MS Office (in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
The successful candidate will have the following behavioural competencies:
- delivers results within tight time frames, prioritising tasks and paying attention to detail, and is able to manage multiple assignments and track progress on numerous processes simultaneously;
- communicates ideas in an effective manner using simple and clear language; handles sensitive information in a discreet manner, respecting confidentiality;
- is comfortable working without close supervision, but knows when to involve others;
- defines success in terms of the team as a whole, shares information and supports team members in the attainment of common goals;
- adapts to changing plans and circumstances with ease and embraces new technologies and processes with enthusiasm;
- establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with staff and management;
- demonstrates a conscientious attitude and understands the key organisational goals and the wider context in which we work;
- is aware of the impact that his/her actions have on others and is able to balance individual needs with group and organisational needs.
Further Information: Traineeship of three months, with the possibility of an extension depending on business needs
Closing Date for Applications: Fri, 20 Mar 2015