Senior Project Officer (Grade B5)
Office of the Directorate General of Programmes
Office in Ankara
Under the authority of the Head of Office and the supervision of the Head of the South East Europe and Turkey Unit within the Human Rights Policy and Cooperation Department, the incumbent carries out multiple assignments to meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of the European Union/Council of Europe Joint Programme ‘Strengthening the Capacity of Bar Associations and Lawyers on European Human Rights Standards – BARI’, in co-operation with the donors, partners and other stakeholders, and in compliance with the organisation’s regulations and/or donor requirements.
The incumbent is expected to establish good working relations with representatives of the government, public authorities and the judiciary. She/he may be required to travel within Turkey and internationally and needs a valid passport with no restrictions for travelling abroad.
Employment is conditioned by the signature of an Agreement with the European Union and is limited to the duration of the Project (36 months).
The incumbent shall perform the following tasks in accordance with the Organisation’s procedures, guidelines and priorities, with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- plans, organises, implements and follows up on activities in accordance with the work plan under the guidance of the Project Manager;
- researches and monitors legal developments and practices relevant to the activities;
- provides legal feedback concerning the project and guides national and international consultants on any legal/human rights related topics;
- assists, supports and advises when required in the overall implementation and coherence of the application of the activities;
- coordinates the Workplan and its calendar of activities in cooperation with the Project Manager in Ankara and the Project Coordinator in headquarters;
- leads in the preparation of necessary documents and agendas for meetings and working groups, as well as chairing and facilitating them;
- takes the lead in implementing single activities and coordinating the input from consultants;
- contributes to the drafting of reports;
- coordinates the preparation of activities together with service providers and beneficiaries;
- monitors and follows up on purchase orders, contracts and mission orders, travel and accommodation;
- provides technical and substance briefings to all short term consultants prior to and during their missions;
- drafts terms of reference for different contractual engagements aimed at implementing each activity;
- contributes to drafting briefing notes, speeches, speaking points and official correspondence;
- contributes to the efficient functioning of the office in collaboration with the Head of Office and the direct Project management in headquarters;
- undertakes official journeys in connection with activities described above.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Closing date: 26 March 2018
Location : Ankara, Turkey