Scientific Assistant (Scientific Editor) – English Language Publications (Grade B4)
Directorate General of Democracy (DG II)
European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines & HealthCare (EDQM)
European Pharmacopoeia Department (EPD)
Fixed-term contract: The total length of employment under fixed-term contracts will not exceed five years.
Turnover profiles are specific roles where it is considered to be in the best interests of the Organisation to have a consistent rotation of staff. Turnover profiles offer once-only opportunities under this scheme and the total duration of employment cannot exceed five years*.
* Staff members or former staff members who are or have previously been employed in the framework of the Junior Professional Programme or Turnover Profiles will not be eligible again for any of the profiles under these schemes. The Council of Europe reserves the right to assess the admissibility of candidates who are or have previously been employed with the Organisation according to their contractual situation at the closing date of this competition.
Fixed-term contract: the total length of employment under fixed-term contracts will not exceed five years.
** External recruitment procedure organised in accordance with Article 16 of the Regulations on Appointments.
Under the authority of the Head of Department, the incumbent provides scientific assistance in respect of the publication of texts of the European Pharmacopoeia and other scientific EDQM publications in accordance with policies, guidelines, quality assurance systems, priorities and deadlines.
The incumbent performs the following key duties:
- participates in the drafting, checking and revising of draft English texts to be published in Pharmeuropa and legally binding texts to be published in the European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.), in close co-operation with the scientific programme managers and translators by:
- identifying common errors / divergences from the Style Guide;
- ensuring consistency of the documents prepared between French and English in conjunction with other Scientific Editors;
- drawing chemical formulae and checking chemical nomenclature, using appropriate software and consulting specialised experts;
- assessing scientific data in accordance with technical rules and guidelines;
- performs scientific and linguistic editing on scientific notes, drafted by non-native English speakers, to be published in Pharmeuropa;
- gives advice and feedback on common linguistic and terminological errors;
- may support scientific programme managers and their expert groups by reviewing early draft texts to technically challenge the coherence and consistency of the texts within the framework of the Ph. Eur.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Location : Strasbourg, France
Closing date: 17 September 2018