Vacancy Notice N° o24/2015
Office of the Directorate General of Programmes
Council of Europe Office in Tbilisi
Under the authority of the Head of the Council of Europe Office in Georgia and in consultation and co-operation with the Managing Diversity Division, Democratic Governance Directorate, Directorate General of Democracy (DG II) of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, and within the framework of the Council of Europe and European Union Eastern Partnership Programmatic Co-operation Framework for 2015-2017 “Community-Led Urban Strategies for Historic Towns” (COMUS), the Project Officer will carry out multiple assignments to meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of the Project on COMUS, by supporting the technical process made for exploring and testing innovative planning models which respond to the practical problems in small- and medium-sized historic towns.
For this purpose, the Project Officer will support and monitor the implementation of the set measures and activities in co-operation with the national COMUS Project Implementation Unit, and in compliance with the respective regulations of the Council of Europe and of the European Union.
Employment is limited from 1 May 2015 to 31 December 2016 (20 months, 50% working time).
The Project Officer will perform the following tasks in accordance with the Council of Europe’s procedures, guidelines and priorities with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
• Assists the National Coordinator with overseeing and reporting on activities (planning and rehabilitation project phases), relations with national and international partners;
• Assists the Local Project Manager with the organisation, co-ordination and implementation of project activities (including practical issues related to local meetings, international and national experts missions, experts research and studies, study visits, etc.) in accordance with the project methodology, work plan and its calendar of activities;
• Assures quality control of all technical documents produced, and assists the National Coordinator / Project Manager to ensure their validation by national / local competent authorities;
• Informs the headquarters and the Head of the Council of Europe Office regularly about the implementation of the project (monthly reports) and co-ordinates his/her work within the broader framework of the overall activities of the Council of Europe Office;
• Liaises with the COMUS Lead Expert, local stakeholders, project national and international consultants as regards the implementation of project activities, and identifies local needs (support, resources, competencies);
• Develops the impact of transnational exchange activity between countries at local level (through regional coordination meetings);
• Facilitates the transfer of competencies from international experts to local stakeholders;
• Drafts narrative and mission reports related to project activities;
• Assists the Project Implementation Unit (National Coordinator and Project Manager) to ensure close budgetary follow-up of all project expenditures, in accordance with regulations, procedures and donor requirements;
• Helps raise the visibility of the project by contributing to the communication plan objectives (in coordination with headquarters and the partner in charge of communication), assists in the drafting of web news items and press releases, by disseminating information, providing advice and input on publications, and by managing the project website;
• Assists in the event of an evaluation or audit of the project;
• Ensures quality and relevance of programmes for activities, secures local speakers, prepares documentation and oversees the preparation by local partners; reports any problems encountered; suggests priorities and adjustments as necessary;
• Advises on local service providers and assists the Project Implementation Unit and the headquarters to negotiate contracts in consultation with headquarters;
• Prepares relevant meetings and drafts meeting minutes and lists of decisions;
• Informs the Secretariat in Strasbourg, in co-ordination with the Head of Office, in case of problems, and advises on actions that should be undertaken to overcome the problems encountered;
• Undertakes official journeys in connection with the activities described above, especially to participate in Steering Committee meetings;
• Performs any other tasks related to the implementation of the project as requested.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Location : Tbilisi, Georgia
Closing date: 30 April 2015