Programme Intern, The Code – ECPAT International
Position: Programme Intern, The Code
Reports to: Programme Manager
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Duration: Six months
In response to the crime of child sex tourism, The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism (The Code, www.thecode.org) was initiated by the global child rights network, ECPAT, in cooperation with the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and Scandinavian tour operators. Over the last 15 years, it has grown into a global initiative with more than 250 travel companies from 42 countries having become members of the Code. Today, it is one of the best examples of a voluntary sustainability standard for the protection of children’s rights, and is hosted by ECPAT International in Bangkok.
The Code intership position is implemented under ECPAT International’s internship programme, and is a valuable opportunity for serious and qualified candidates who have an awareness of promoting child protection against commercial sexual exploitation. Interns will have the opportunity to gain key knowledge and experience, and will be expected to dutifully carry out the tasks assigned to them under the responsibility of the designated supervisor(s).
The Programme Intern position is a hands-on position, in which the intern will make meaningful contributions by helping The Code effectively assist current and potential members, and convey information to internal and external audiences by preparing and producing messages and publications.
- Provide support to members of The Code in collaboration with LCRs on issues concerning implementation of child protection in tourism businesses (six criteria of The Code)
- Assist with day-to-day membership relations, including responding to inquiries from prospective and current members, membership registration and renewal, and invoicing
- Support the process of internal review of members’ accounts, including subscriptions, contact details, and correspondence templates
- Coordinate the publication of The Code’s newsletter (2-3 times per year) including sourcing material, copy-editing, layout/design, and distribution
- Assist in maintaining The Code’s social media profile through content monitoring of issues related to implementation of the six criteria of The Code
- In conjunction with Local Code Representatives (LCRs), review annual reports of members, and provide feedback to LCRs/members on areas for improvement
- Liaise with the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) support team to troubleshoot system issues and identify areas for improvement/development
- Provide advice on public training / awareness campaign on exploitation of children in tourism and promotion of child safe tourism
- Attend conferences, seminars, travel fairs and other relevant events with the purpose of representing the Code and identifying new elements for the development of services of The Code to the tourism industry in the field of child protection
Participate in working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on children’s rights and child protection issues
Collaborate and contribute to the general work of The Code as a member of its team.
A modest stipend of 10,000 Bath/month (around $300 USD) will be made available to the intern who is not sponsored by other organizations or institutions. All other costs related to the internship, i.e., travel, passport, visa or living costs in Bangkok, are to be borne by the intern or his/her sponsoring institution or organization.
Application deadline: 12 September 2016
Permanent link to this article: http://www.cosmopolitalians.eu/programme-intern-code-ecpat-international/