UN Women together with the European Commission, the Belgian Development Cooperation, and UNRIC is organizing a Comic and Cartoon Competition on Gender Equality.
Show them what comes to your mind when you reflect on women’s rights and empowerment and on the relationship between women and men. Get familiar with the Beijing Conference and its outcome document, the Beijing Declaration and its Platform for Action. Seek inspiration for your drawings in the 12 Critical Areas of Concern of the Beijing Platform!
The Competition is open to comic and cartoon artists and art students, from 18 to 28 years old, who are residents of an EU member state.
Please note that your comic or cartoon must be without words.
Finalists will be selected by a jury composed of professional comic artists, gender equality experts and communication experts:
- Pierre Kroll, Belgian Comic Artist, Member of Cartooning for Peace
- Marlène Pohle, Comic Artist, Vice-President of Federation of Cartoonists Organisations
- Salla Saastamoinen, Director for Equality, European Commission
- Alexander de Croo, Minister of Development Cooperation of Belgium
- Sylvie Braibant, Editor-in-Chief TV5MONDE
- Nanette Braun, Chief of Communications and Advocacy, UN Women
One First Prize: 1000 EUR
One Second Prize: 500 EUR
Three Third Prizes: 200 EUR EACH
The five finalists will be invited to Brussels to the Competition awards ceremony in summer 2015. The costs for travel and stay will be borne by the Organising Entities. In addition, the finalists’ and semi-finalists’ drawings will be published in a booklet and may be considered for exhibition as well as for further publication.
The submission deadline is 20 April 2015.
The competition is conducted by the UN Women Brussels Office.