Under the overall supervision of the Head of MINUSMA’s Human Rights Division and the direct supervision of the Coordinator of the Field Office or Unit where s/he will be deployed, the UN Volunteer will have the responsibility to:
- Gather information and report on the human rights situation in a designated geographical area, including through close cooperation with other United Nations actors and the community;
- Keep the supervisor regularly informed on developments concerning the human rights situation;
- Prepare case files for submission to the authorities and for inclusion in the UN Joint Human Rights Office (UNJHRO) case data base;
- Participate in the establishment and maintenance of contacts with local authorities as well as international organizations operating in the country and civil society;
- Facilitate the implementation of human rights mandate in the designated area of responsibility aiming at the establishment of an environment of mutual understanding among the population;
- Perform other related duties as required by the Director of the UNJHRO.
- When working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for capacity development through coaching, mentoring and formal and on-the-job training.
- Any other related duties as may be required.
Application deadline: 28 February 2014