The Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union offers linguistic traineeships for university graduates or students from the Member States of the EU who wish to acquire an understanding of the Translation Centre´s work and gain professional experience.
In accordance with Administrative Decision No 1/2010 on traineeships offered by the Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union, the Translation Centre is organizing a selection procedure for the following five trainee positions in 2015:
- Greek translator (Translation Department)
- Slovene translator (Translation Department)
- Finnish translator (Translation Department)
- Terminologist (Translation Support Department)
- Linguist specialised in automatic translation tools (Translation Support Department)
Selection criteria and planned duration of the traineeship
To be eligible to take part in this selection procedure, the applicant must, on the closing date for applications, meet the following requirements:
- Have completed at least four semesters of university studies, or equivalent education, in a field of interest to the Centre;
- Level of skills: have obtained some initial experience in one of the areas of work engaged in by the Centre, either:
- From a specialist component of the applicant´s studies for a university degree, from a dissertation or other research project conducted as part of his/her studies, or
- Through work experience, or a previous traineeship, of at least two months duration, or
- Through a language-related traineeship: applicants, in that case, must be able to translate from two official European Union languages into their main language (applicable only to translator traineeships).
- Language requirements: applicants must have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory command of another official European Union language, to the extent necessary for carrying out the duties to be performed. A good knowledge of one of the working languages of the Centre (French or English) is an advantage.
Applicants from candidate countries must have a thorough knowledge of at least one of the languages of a candidate country and a good knowledge of English or French.
In addition to the above, applicants must meet the following specific requirements for the various trainee positions (“principal language” below means mother tongue, or a language of which the applicants have an equivalent command):
- Greek translator: translation studies, with Greek as principal language. Duration of traineeship: three months between September and December 2015.
- Slovene translator: translation studies, with Slovene as principal language. Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2015.
- Finnish translator: translation studies, with Finnish as principal language. Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2015.
- Terminologist: studies (preferably postgraduate) in the fields of terminology or translation specialising in terminology or in corpus linguistics or in automatic language processing. Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2015.
- Linguist specialised in automatic translation tools: studies (preferably postgraduate) in the fields of automatic translation tools (translation memories, terminology software, machine translation software, computational linguistics, natural language processing, databases, proofing tools, corpus linguistic text banks, bitexts and concordancers, terminology extraction tools, etc.). Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2015.
Applications should be sent by post or by courier:
Please note that, in order to be considered, all applications must be sent within the deadline as attested by the date on the postmark. We strongly recommend that applications are sent by registered mail, with the postmark as proof of the postal date, or by courier against dated receipt by the Centre. An acknowledgement of receipt shall be sent automatically to the applicant indicating his/her candidate number. The application should contain the following documents:
- the Application form, duly completed and signed
- a copy of the diplomas or certificates
- a letter of recommendation from a university teacher attesting experience in the field of the traineeship being applied for.
Please send your application to:
Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union – Human Resources Section
Ref.: Traineeship 2015 (+ title of the position)
12E, rue Guillaume Kroll
L- 1882 LUXEMBOURG
Trainees shall be entitled to a monthly grant amounting to 25% of the basic monthly salary of a temporary agent in grade AD5, grade 1 (which is EUR 1 096.10 in 2015), on condition that they are not entitled to a grant or a financial contribution from another source. Article 3 of the Administrative Decision gives detailed information on traineeship grants and related matters (health and accident insurance, taxation, reimbursement of travel expenses at the beginning and end of the traineeship, etc.).
CLOSING DATE: 15 March 2015 (attested by the date on the postmark)