The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Lebanon represents the EU and negotiates with the Lebanese authorities on behalf of the EU. Our role is to coordinate locally the action of the EU and the Member States accredited to Lebanon. In practice, this means that we are more involved in bringing a unified and consistent European voice in our engagement with all people living in Lebanon.
We are looking for
A Secretary to provide administrative support in general and to carry out secretarial tasks such as maintaining proper clerical processes and ensuring appropriate assistance to persons concerned, as well as coordinating with secretaries in other sections. He/she will be also in charge of processing the administrative paperwork, provide general administrative and document management services. A good sense of priority setting, efficiency, teamwork, respect of short deadlines and initiative are important for success in this function.
Position title: Secretary [local agent]
Reporting to: Head of Section
Contract: Employment contract of indefinite duration after a six months probationary period
Expected starting date: September 1st 2017
Work station: EU Delegation to Lebanon, Saifi, Beirut
Areas of responsibilities/tasks
- Assist in Section Management
- Provide assistance to the Head of Section in the service management
- Provide secretarial assistance to the Financial or Operational Managers
- Manage the information pertaining to leaves, absences and trainings records
- Provide logistical support in meetings/missions organisationand follow up
- Ensure that the section related issues are organised and updated and can be easily retrieved
- Follow up with staff on deliverables and ensure their submission within deadlines as per the directives of the head of section
- Keep appointments
- Screen calls and visitors
- Support to Financial Managers
- Encoding and follow-up of bank accounts and legal entities in internal system ABAC when needed
- Encoding and publication of local calls for proposals and calls for tenders if needed
- Taking part in information sessions for call for proposals (write down questions and answers for publication)
- Assisting Managers in managing tenders and proposals if needed
- Apply common filing system to existing archive
- Archiving documents according to filing system
- Correspondence Management
- Edition of letters, faxes, etc.
- Take minutes of meetings
- Answer inquiries when requested
- Distribute and keep records of all mail that is dispatched or received by the section
- Replace occasionally the receptionist when needed
Diplomas: To have either a post-secondary education attested by a diploma, or
a secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post- secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three years.
- Professional experience: candidates will, after obtaining the qualifications mentioned above, have acquired at least three  years of professional experience related to tasks described at Areas of responsibilities/tasks working within multicultural or international organisations, the private sector or governmental bodies
- Languages: Fluency in English, French and Arabic is required
- IT tools: Good computer skills on MS Word, Excel, e-mail applications and other relevant programmes
- Knowledge on Budget, Finance and Contracts will be an advantage
Communication and other personal skills:
- The ideal candidate should be a multi-tasking person with a strong sense of flexibility and responsibility who has very good communicational and organisational skills with the ability to set priorities and a high level of consideration for the needs of colleagues;
- Very good capacity to work as member of a team and under pressure;
- Capacity to establish and maintain good interpersonal relations at work;
- A sense of discretion, confidentiality and responsibility are important prerequisites for this post;
- Ability to work effectively and independently in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
Specific experience requirements
Knowledge of the European Union and EU Member States’ activities in Lebanon is a strong asset
How to apply
Candidates should send:
- Curriculum Vitae [it is mandatory to fill in the attached form] in either English or French
- A cover and motivation letter, maximum one page
- Scanned copies of relevant diplomas / certificates of degrees
- At least 2 references
The complete application should be sent no later than 02/08/2017 to mailbox: email@example.com , clearly indicating in the subject field the position applied for “Secretary“.
Only the short listed candidates will be contacted.