CECED – European Committee of Domestic Equipment Manufacturers
Location: Brussels, Belgium
The Home Appliance industry, represented by CECED (the European Committee of Domestic Equipment Manufacturers), is looking for an Environment & Energy Policy Junior Specialist to join its team in Brussels.
CECED represents the common interests of home appliance manufacturers in Europe. The Association has 20 Direct Members and National Associations covering 25 countries. It promotes the industry’s mission to increase appliance performance while reducing its impact on the environment. It plays an active role in the fields of energy efficiency, eco-design, energy labeling, e-waste, resource management, smart living, trade, safety and standardization.
The successful candidate will work on European Union (EU) advocacy issues and play a supporting role to the environment team and the energy team in CECED. The tasks will cover all aspects of EU environment & energy policy and legislation relevant to the home appliance sector, such as eco-design and energy labeling legislation, e-waste, circular economy, resource efficiency, chemical and material restrictions, end-of-life policies.
We are looking for an independent, motivated and well-organized person, with some experience in project management. He/she is a good communicator with a positive attitude, a strong sense of teamwork and can adjust easily to changing circumstances.
- Support in developing and executing advocacy on relevant dossiers, in close coordination with the CECED membership;
- Support in promoting and representing the home appliance sector towards the European Institutions;
- Support in intelligence gathering and in analysis of documentation and legislative proposals related to the current EU environment and energy policy agendas;
- Support in writing position papers and presentations and defending them towards the EU decision-makers and other stakeholders;
- Support in coordinating advocacy positions with national and other European industry associations;
- Presenting relevant topics to the CECED membership at working group and general assembly meetings;
- Support in managing working groups;
- Preparation of meeting agendas, minutes, presentations, documents and logistics;
- Managing databases.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in EU affairs, preferably in Brussels;
- Good knowledge of the EU institutions and the decision-making process;
- Knowledge and understanding of EU energy and environmental policy issues;
- Previous professional experience in a trade/industry association or with the home appliance sector will be considered a strong asset.
- Relevant Bachelor or Master’s Degree: Economics, Environmental, or Political Science preferred;
- A scientific education will be considered if supported by education and/or experience in the European political environment.
- Good level of general computer literacy: MS Office, presentations, spreadsheets, databases;
- Project management and presentation skills;
- Good analytical skills and an ability to assimilate the various aspects of an issue rapidly;
- Good skills to both write and edit engaging reports, briefing and position papers.
- Independent, able to work autonomously as well as within a team;
- Flexible, ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously and to manage competing demands and deadlines;
- Capacity to work effectively in cross-cultural and diverse stakeholder environment;
- Ability to manage relationships with colleagues and members constructively, diplomatically and with discretion;
- Comfortable speaking in public and to large groups.
- Fluent English (both spoken and written);
- Other major European languages an asset.
- The opportunity to work in an EU related environment within an innovative industrial sector and a multinational association;
- A motivating, multilingual and multicultural working environment;
- Salary package according to Belgium law;
- 1-year contract (possibility to renew);
- Reporting jointly to the Environment Policy Director and Energy Policy Director.
In order to be considered, each candidate is requested to produce a short essay (one-page maximum) or PowerPoint presentation (5 slides maximum) on the Circular Society.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and essay or PowerPoint presentation to email@example.com by 20 October 2017.
Start date: as soon as possible.
While we appreciate all responses, please understand that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.