The European Urban Knowledge Network (EUKN) is a network of national governments and knowledge institutes, deeply involved in EU urban policy-making.
The EUKN is presently expanding, its membership of 1/3 of the European Union, which includes Belgium, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg and the Netherlands: all of whom are represented at Ministry level by the EUKN Assembly. For each of the Members, National Focal Points (NFPs) ensure the dissemination of European knowledge at the national, regional and local levels and the exchange of relevant national knowledge at the European level. The EUKN and NFPs are supported by a small Secretariat, based within the organisation Platform 31 in The Hague, the Netherlands.
To aid and assist its expansion, the EUKN is currently looking for a Communications and Research intern to support the daily activities of the Secretariat.
As an intern, you will support the EUKN to spread knowledge on urban themes to a wide range of audiences. You will particularly focus on maintaining and updating EUKN’s eLibrary relating to urban planning and policy themes. In addition, you will be responsible for the regular monitoring and message posting via the EUKN’s social media channels (e.g., LinkedIn group, Facebook and Twitter etc.) and other relevant online resources. This will require staying on top of current urban policy issues worldwide.
The following tasks will be part of your internship:
- Regularly monitor international urban planning and policy websites and social media, to contribute to maintaining up-to-date information on the EUKN’s own online portals;
- Contribute to the EUKN’s monthly newsletter by writing articles, conducting interviews, and monitoring subscriptions;
- Create online EUKN knowledge dossiers about a variety of themes, such as the collaborative economy, by collecting relevant research and case studies on each topic;
- Up-date existing knowledge dossiers by seeking out new and current materials related to each topic;
- Assist the Head of Research with background research, the contribution to and editing of written reports, as well as the organisation of Policy Labs;
- Assist the Communications Manager in updating and maintaining the EUKN website and social media;
- Support other EUKN colleagues in their daily activities, such as conferences and meetings.
EUKN is looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and curious person that is seeking a dynamic, challenging and international working environment. Successful candidates will fit the following profile:
- A master’s student of Urban Studies, Human Geography, Urban Sociology International Relations, European Studies, Urban Planning, or another field of study that relates to urban policy and European cooperation;
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken. Knowledge of other European languages, particularly Dutch, is an advantage;
- Availability from September 2015 onwards, for a period of at least 6 consecutive months, for 36 hours a week;
- An affinity for urban issues, politics and international relations;
- Proficiency in the use of social media and online research, with familiarity in website CMS systems is an advantage;
- Work eligibility in the EU;
- Capable of working with minimal supervision.
The EUKN internship will run for 6 months starting September and ending in March 2016. The intern will work 36 hours a week out of the EUKN EGTC Secretariat office in The Hague, the Netherlands.
You will receive an internship fee of €300 per month gross on the basis of a fulltime internship contract. Train transportation costs will be fully reimbursed.
Application deadline: Monday, 27th July 2015